Software Review Ethics

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I am writing this to express my opinion only... :p;)

Why is that people would rather trash talk companies and software applications and give them low review ratings publicly than to contact the design company for help?

This baffles me! :blink:

Recently, on one of the sites I have by ChatProbe program available for download, a user download the Home & Pro versions and couldn't get them to work apparently. Instead of contacting us with a "I can't get this to work right, can you help me..." type of query, he desides to rate the program with the lowest possble marks and leave comments like "Ugly UserInterface(UI), Doesn't work, Can't see all computers and doesn't scan the ones it does, <insert complaints about pricing..."

What does this accomplish really? Is it his sole purpose in life to try and sway other potential customers from trying it because he couldn't get it to work? Is that what the problem is?

We have received several email review from customers who are thoroughly pleased with the software and the customer support so it is upsetting when individuals seek out to publicly talk trash about something like this.

I know being in the software business, I am constantly available for criticism, but this is again why I am asking why it is necessary to comment so harshly about something like inability to get something to work. This is why there is a trial period.

Sorry to be so upset, I know it goes against my cherub like demeanor, but I had to vent.

Ciao for now

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

IMHO

Because people wont fully test, they give up at the first hurdle. There is a lot of espectation for software and computers to run out of the box (blame high street retaillers), like appliances, your TV or hifi for example, I think a lot of people dont realise the technicalities and complexity of computers and software.

ALSO theres a lack of RTFM ! People dont read help files and ask for support. I see it day in day out in my office.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Capp,

Please see Blackspear's signature. :D

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You're right. I should print that off and hang it above my desk.

:D :cool:

5. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Along with all people who post damning criticism of software in web forums without bothering to try contacting the author, no doubt. ;)

6. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Honestly I don't really care much about these one liner software reviews they seldom sway my decisions anyway. Most of them are by people who don't know what they are doing half of the time and the other half they have an agenda.

Normally before i try something i would have researched it a lot already, so comments like this make no difference.Except maybe if there are like 20 reviews, and 19/20 say it sucks.

On the other hand,I do notice that many people *really* do base their decisions to downlaod and try based on these reviews, so yes such comments can hurt you bad. I've seen people refuse to download and use stuff, even though I told them i use it and it's good, simply because there were maybe 5-10 users giving it a thumbs down out of of hundreds of users. Go figure.

LOL, i bet the temptation to sneak in there and put in some of your own 'fair' reviews is pretty strong right now :) :)

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way :)

I wouldn't "sneak" in and write a review, but if there is an option to "vote" for the program, I see nothing wrong with voting for my own program once. Anybody that thinks this is wrong, do you mind the presidential nominees voting for themselves ;) :p

Thanks for the support guys!

8. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Based on recent results, yes. :p :D

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

lol, I meant in general :D o_O

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I rarely pay attention to most software reviews because they ususally reflect the likes/dislikes/experiences of the reviewer which are probably different from others. As a well-known photographer advocated, "Careful photographers run their own tests" (which has always been my rule of thumb in both photography and computing)

Some companies that test software and post objective results/data fall into a different category of testing. But I'm referring to something different.

Recent example is the upgrade of Forte Agent:

First Look: Forte's Overly Complex Newsgroup Reader

Rather opinionated title. It was called to my attention by a fellow Agent user who laughed as he read it because he had already upgraded and found nothing to complain about. My brother, also an Agent user and software programmer, saw the review and commented,

"Actually it's not at all as bad as he paints it. I have just installed it for my news groups (I have been using separate instances for news and mail) and it's really not all that much different. It does have the concept of "desks", but it's just a term for different configurations. I've barely scratched the surface, but I think it allows a lot of flexibility for configuring it any way you might wish. I like it so far."

Writers are allowed to express their opinions, of course, but the problem with such articles is that they might sway a person searching for something new from trying out a product. Especially an article published by a respected by a respected magazine.

Meanwhile, I'll upgrade and test it out for myself.

---

11. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Capp,

I have had negative reviews on CleanCache because the user would state that it wouldn't run, etc because they did not have .NET installed or were running 98/ME. For the former it states (usually) on the download site that it requires .NET, 2000/XP and also during the install. For the latter, the program will not install on these OS's. But this still doesn't stop the negative reviews. Over time I've learned to just shrug them off and be more concerned with the users who take the time and write.

Bill

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try to look at it from another perspective.
    Not everyone is out there to test. Some people want to use software - as simple as that. They want instant solutions - chop chop - they want it to work with minimum fuss, everything clear within 5 minutes. In a way, they have a right, if they paid money.
    So, sending feedback for improvements is noble, and is welcome. But that will happen only in a community that cares. Your average man - he did not sign up to be a beta tester, sign in in forums or test the colors of his TV - he wants to watch pron and football (RE soccer) games.
    Mostly, disappointed users will ask for money back, not improved products.
    And for those literate enough to join forums or boards, they will flame as much as they can - the same way a disgruntled TV buyer would go back to the store he purchased his TV and slam the desk and shout at the clerk.
    The way of the noble, tolerant world we live in.
    Mrk

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Capp. i think you should remember other software will have people doing the same things to it's developers too, so it probably evens out in the end.

if i have a problem with a program i generally don't contact the devs because of all the programs i have installed on XP. if i only had afew programs for the software to conflict with i'd be more likely to say something.

most of the problems i have are because of my setup being more hardened then the average setup - things being disabled, restricted functions, intentional restrictions enforced by other programs - kernel running security etc

if i had your problem i would probably wait until i'd claimed down, then i'd reply to the thread explaining how other coders don't stick to standards, or implement buggy code which stops your perfectly coded program from working correctly. i'd say that even if the problem was my fault :D

remember, for every reply like the one you mention, there must be something like 10/20/50 others who are silent, but happy with the program.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  14. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I agree with wanting the software to work "right out of the box", but I also agree that people should follow directions and system requirements before flaming because "It doesn't work".
    Also, if they paid for the program and it doesn't work, I am more than willing to offer a refund if they choose, but you don't have to pay to download my software. It has a 15 day trial that is fully functional. That way, if you download it and it doesn't work, just uninstall it if you aren't interested in working to get it to work right. :)

I work very hard to maintain customer satisfaction and I believe that we are very fair to our customers.

I agree. I truly wish more satisfied customers would be willing to give good review, but unfortunately, the only time most people post review or comments is if they are unsatisfied.

Too bad more people aren't like you and realize that not all problems are in direct relation to the software they are using :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.