Software Firewall for College Laptop

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by airrob, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airrob

airrob Guest

I am setting up a new laptop for college next year. Most of the time, I'll be in my room and behind a Linksys WRT54G hardware firewall, but I'll also be taking my laptop to unsecure locations (class, library, friends, etc.) As such, I think I want to get a software firewall.

1. Do I need a software firewall, or will the Windows XP SP2 firewall be sufficient?

2. If yes I do need a software firewall, which one do you guys recommend? I am looking for a *free* option. I am a computer-savvy user, but I don't want something completely convoluted. The options I have read about are...

Kerio
    Zone Alarm
    Outpost
    Look and Stop
    Sygate

Which would you guys recommend?

2. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Hi airrob,

I would advise you to view this thread which is similar to your query.

Cheers

Akshay.

PS: My personal recommendation would be Zone Alarm Free.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

The Windows Firewall will suffice, but if you want application control you will need a software firewall with this ability.

They are all good firewalls, although LnS and Outpost are not free. It is really a matter of personal preference. Of the free ones if you want rule based, Kerio 2.1.5 would be worth looking at. There are still mixed reviews on the new Kerio 4.x with some saying it works fine for them. If it is more just application based, ZA or Sygate.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.