software firewall for 2003 server

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cho08, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cho08

cho08 Registered Member

Hi Everyone

I've been reading these forums and this is my first post.

Anyway here we go. We have a server running 2003 server and it is mainly going to be used as a file server (for now). Occasionally we would be using terminal services to log onto it. We have 4 staff at the moment, and our LAN is connected to the outside world via a 512kbps ADSL connection. We are sitting behind a Netgear ProSafe firewall/print server.

I know it is not recommended, but, what software firewall would you guys recommend to install on the server to further increase the security? Something like Kerio would be perfect where you can control inbound and outbound connections, and also application control, but unfortunately Kerio won't allow you to install it on a server OS. There is a Kerio Server Firewall. I've tried it, and its pretty good, BUT it allows ALL outgoing traffic and doesn't have a kerio personal firewall like application control where it prompts you for an action when an application wants to make an outbound connection. Pretty much the server is right next to me so i can attend to all the pop ups and assign application/connection rules.

If possible, cheaper the better. Don't know if free firewalls can be used due to licensing...

Thanks in advance

Cho08

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use Outpost 4 on my personal 2003 server system. It runs well and is highly configurable. Look'n'Stop is another firewall that runs great on 2003 although may be a bit harder to use.

3. cho08

cho08 Registered Member

Hi farmerlee,

I tried Outpost and look'n'Stop today on an XP system. For some reason i prefer look'n'Stop. It doesn't take up too much system resources too. I read the look'n'Stop license, and its only for personal use while i'm looking to use it in a small business environment. look'n'Stop was perfect too. If only there was a server version..

I'll give Outpost a try on the server, since it says it can be used on 2003 server but still need to go through the license to make sure.

Know of any good firewalls that is allowed to be used on servers legally but doesn't cost a bomb?

Cho08

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

You will need to get an enterprise product. Most consumer firewalls are incompatible and will not work on server OS due to a difference in system architecture compared to consumer operating systems. To my knowledge, the only consumer firewall that works on Win 2003 Server is Outpost. Below a list of other enterprise firewall providers. I can't tell you which is the 'best' and cheapest though. That's something you need to investigate yourself:

Check Point (ZL's parent company):
    http://www.checkpoint.com/products/index.html

Kerio:
    http://www.kerio.com/kwf_home.html

Symantec:
    http://www.symantec.com/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=end_sec&pvid=scs31

McAfee:
    http://www.mcafee.com/us/smb/produc...rotection_solutions/total_protection_smb.html

5. cho08

cho08 Registered Member

Hi unhappy_viewer

Thanks for the links and info. I've tried Kerio server firewall and love it, but has no outbound connection and application management :( . I'll check out the prices of the other ones you put down and test them out. If the prices are too much for the official server firewalls, then I may consider getting Outpost.

Thanks guys for your help.

Cho08

6. farmerlee

Yeah look'n'stop is a really light, but really great firewall which is highly configurable. I find it works great under windows 2003. You could always post a question to frederic in the look'n'stop forum about using look'n'stop in a business environment.

7. cho08

cho08 Registered Member

Does Look'n'Stop start as a service? Because I need the firewall to still be active when i log out of my server.

cho08

8. farmerlee

I'm not really too sure, you should try posting this question to frederic in the look'n'stop forum, he'll be able to tell you.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

theres a bat file for installing the service. the current LnS beta includes this file in it directory and for the current stable version u can download the bat files separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.