Softpedia

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Joxx, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

The best thing to do with comodo is configure it correctly. If comodo had of been configured correctly the machine would have been clean, IF! the user knows how to use comodo correctly.

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

This user knows how to use Comodo,
    he's been using it since V3
    What he didn't know was that Melih
    (in all His Greatness and Wisdom)
    decided that, after V6 and in the name of usability,
    the FW would allow out by default

This user learned the lesson and hardened the options

3. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Good for you, glad you got it sorted :thumb:

4. Nozavi

Nozavi Registered Member

Unfortunately, we at Softpedia have no fault in this matter... except maybe the fact that we're listing an ad-supported app, but getting rid of these programs, would mean removing thousands of listings, including software from Google, Microsoft or Yahoo.

Ad-supported software doesn't receive the clean award and is marked as such, but other than that there's not much we can do, but hope that our users don't miss any of the checkboxes or 'skip' buttons. This post even made us a bit paranoid, so we've decided to install DT on all available environments. The conclusion is still the same: third party apps are not installed if you opt them out, but hey, if by any chance at any time, for any app, you do find an exception, please feel free to report it and will take it down asap, but I think you'll have a hard time finding these apps :D

I can assure you that our policy (in general, not necessarily for ad-supported apps) is to make sure any program we list does not forcefully install any third-party components. These programs are: a) rejected upon submission; b) delisted upon discovery.

1) First of all, you're making a huge mistake by comparing Softpedia with CNET or Softonic. Softpedia has not, does not and will never wrap installers. Any third-party components you might see in installers are placed there by developers, not by us and we don't receive a single cent if those components are installed.

2) As Roger already stated, the installer we host is the official setup and we always get our installers directly from the producer, so, in most cases, there's no difference between our installer and the installer you'd get from the official website.

3) I've used "in most cases" above, because there are cases when downloading from Softpedia is actually a better idea than downloading from the official website. Producers like Piriform or KC Software encourage their users to download installers that include ad-supported components. We currently host the ad-free versions for all their apps, so you get the clean version from Softpedia. Furthermore, there are also cases when we host clean installers that are not available for download on the official website (which lists ad-supported setups)...

That should cover everything and, hopefully, debunk some of the false myths regarding the software we list or host ;)

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks for the post. Hopefully that will clear things up for those with doubts.

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

@Novazi
    Your post is that of a professional and a gentleman, thanks.

I'm still positively sure of having unchecked all boxes,
    unfortunately no one reproduced the experience;
    end of story.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nicely said Nozavi :thumb:

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Most of the time I download directly from the vendor's site. If not I download from Majorgeeks or Softpedia. Both sites let you know if a program comes with extra garbage.

Since this is my computer and it's my responsibility for its well being I always scan everything I download before running the program. If the file is small it gets uploaded to VirusTotal or Jotti for scanning. I also scan with my realtime AV and a 2nd on demand anti-malware program. Taking those steps may seem excessive to some but it keeps me from starting topics like this and keeps me away from hijackthis forums ;).

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

One can only aspire to your heights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.