Social networking question

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by firefox2008, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

How long will it be until employers start filtering out people because they don't have a Facebook page or other social networking page?

Will society evolve into one that deems people to be suspicious for being private?

How long will it be until law enforcement agencies have the right to question people because they don't have one?

It seems people are getting too casual with wanting to know everything about everyone else and freely giving up just as much information of themselves.

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Dude, just have a Facebook page. I do, and I'm as paranoid as they come. It's a great way to reconnect with old friends. And to appear normal. Just keep your identities compartmentalized. First rule of Fight Club, and all that ;)

3. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

If you don't put anything on the net, they can't get it. So NO FB for me.

If employer had a rule where FB was necessary, i don't think i would want to work there. Its like saying, if you want to live in this country, than you must allow us to violate your privacy, and your rights and we can put you in prison for no matter what reason. I would just move.

The more they want it (my personal info, other privacy, my rights), the more i am going to hide/protect it.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This is what happens when one reads too many EFF articles and spends too much time reading privacy blogs :) Take a deep breath, relax. What you are worried about isn't going to happen unless we enter a "New World Order"...and then it still wouldn't happen because use of the internet is considered a part of being free.

Most people that end up in trouble with their employer or law enforcement over Facebook, end up in trouble because they already HAVE Facebook. It's a known fact that many an employer has busted an employee for not showing up to work or some other infraction because of a posting on a Facebook page.

Facebook privacy issues come from the fact that Mark Zuckerburg and his sidekicks are bad, bad guys. They will and do freely share and sell every bit of information you give to whomever they please, and they then proudly proclaim it. We can fault users all we want for being so stupid as to use these services knowing this fact, but, at the end of the day, Zuckerburg and company are the ones doing the damage.

Google screws up from time to time, and, because of their omnipresence on the Internet and their power, when they do screw up, it is BIG news. But, they are not truly "evil". Zuckerburg however, is a different story. If you value your privacy, don't use the thing, if you don't give a damn, I wish you well. But, again, what you are worried about is much too unlikely to ever happen to worry yourself over.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Well said, dw426. If people doubt you, they should just Google "Mark Zuckerberg" and learn a little about the guy.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's not so much doubting as it is not caring. Too many still think it is fine and perfectly safe to share their information so long as they "have nothing to hide". It's an incredibly foolish and dangerous mindset, but many never understand the problem with it until unwanted things start happening, at which point it's already too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.