So MajorGeeks is listing Returnil final today.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Thanks for the report and we will check this asap...

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Returnil is another in a very short list of thrilling NEW apps as well as extremely reliable. You can tell a lot of thought and testing went into this program and it's stable as a rock so far as i can tell.

Well, for me at least even the free version is the Perfect harvester for bots/rootkits/malwares courtesy the virtual partition to lock them in at for further research later.

On the normal side of matters, it's a one-two punch with this and Sandboxie. It's a real stretch for any malware to overcome such potential if thats their motive, and by employing Memory virtualization as opposed to disk, as far as i know, this is a real first. (A True Innovation)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, not to harp on this, but if by Memory virtualization you are assuming that all the file changes are kept in memory, I don't think that is a good assumption. There is a lot of confusion about this, but all the files that are added simply cannot be kept in memory. Otherwise I would never have been able to copy a 14gig file to my desktop. I am guessing whatever they are doing to redirect the IO, is in memory, but file data, I question. We don't have a good clarification about this, so I would assume file data is indeed somewhere on the disk.

Pete

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I used RVS to check out a new app by installing it while in virtual protection. All it took was a reboot, and it's like it was never there. A little simpler than FDISR doing the same thing.:)

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

ROFL :D

6. Peter2150

True enough, and I do also, but if you have to reboot to complete install.....

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right. This one didn't require a reboot. Everything has a hitch. :D

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

.......... right,angry awaiting the one button push to get out of session,maybe Returnil boys has something behind their backs.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't think so....this is NOT next on their list. The Commit change thing is next on their cards...continue your angry.:D

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

COLDMOON,
    Please speak to the staff at RVS about putting a "one button push to get out of session" as a top priority in the next version. Thanks from all in advance.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't think the folks at RVS can do a "one button push to get out of session" in the next version. :D

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Ya gotta think positive.:D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  13. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

What returnil processes and services always run at start-up?
    Can they be disabled at startup (using msconfig etc),
    and only run 'on demand' when, for example, one wants to
    switch to session lock manually at some point?

soccerfan

14. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi soccerfan,
    I apologize for missing your question yesterday.

The elements that will load:
    1) System Protection: This loads very early in the boot process and cannot be disabled unless you have not altered the default preference in other options for disabling System Protection when you are in safe-mode and then booting into safe-mode.

2) Virtual Partition: This only loads at boot if you have 1) Created a VP and 2) have it configured to mount with Windows. Otherwise this is essentially "on-demand" when you mount the VP.

3) The RVS GUI: this is just a process that can be turned off by clicking the "Quit" link in the right click menu on the toolbar and/or the tray icon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Turing the GUI off (clicking "Quit") will not disable the System protection feature and further, it will not disable the VP if it is already mounted. You will however need to restart the GUI to dismount the VP or make changes.

Mike

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I do exactly the same with FDISR. One reboot and it's gone as if it was never there. So there is no difference with Returnil.
    Only the technical method is different, the result is the same and that's what counts.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

some new application required re-start, so Returnil will just delete new apps when you restart your PC.

btw, is returnil works the same as deep freeze?

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right, but when we re-boot with FDISR, we reboot to the secondary snapshot, and then update the primary snapshot from the secondary to get rid of the software we're deleting. With RVS, a simple re-boot deletes what ever was installed in virtual. A little faster to me.:)

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

With FDISR you can do a complete install with reboot,not possible in Returnil ! IMO FDISR is better suited for testing new app.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my FDISR. You're right, if the install needs a reboot to finish. But if it doesn't, you can do a complete install with RVS.:)

20. Peter2150

You are right. I wouldn't part with FDISR, but there are places that RVS is just easier. One reboot vs two and a copy.

Lets face it, Imaging,FDISR/Rollback and RVS have a degree of overlap. But I for one wouldn't want to be without any of them.

Pete

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

DITTO ;)

22. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Thanks Mike for the information. Re: item1 above, it appears as if there the returnil processes/service(s) use resources at startup even if I don't want any protection at startup. Right now, I use powershadow but do not start in shadowmode. I have its service (shadowservice) set to manual and its process (shadowtip.exe) disabled at startup so it takes no resources. I can go into shadow mode at any time afterword with no problems.
    Is there a way to do something similar in returnil?
    Also, is there a help manual (pdf etc) available without having to install returnil.
    Thanks for your help.

soccerfan

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I recall clicking a choice not to start RVS at startup during installation.

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sorry, but wrong again. I do a simple reboot (in the same snapshot) and everything is gone as if it was never there.
    My on-line snapshot is frozen and when you freeze a snapshot FDISR creates the file "Freeze Storage.arx" (= archive).
    Each time when I reboot, FDISR does an automatic copy/update from "Freeze Storage.arx" to my on-line snapshot and that cleans my on-line snapshot.
    FDISR is still better than Returnil in possibilities, because Returnil has only ONE "snapshot" so to speak, while FDISR has two freeze storages in one single "Freeze Storage.arx" : actual and previous freeze storage.
    You can also replace the "Freeze Storage.arx" with any existing .arx-file, if you know what you are doing. :)
    Yes, you can call me an experienced FDISR-user. :rolleyes:
    My actual total reboot-time from desktop to desktop = 1m42s, cleaning included. Is that so slow ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the info on freezing a snapshot. I keep learning from you on a regular basis. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.