So MajorGeeks is listing Returnil final today.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Is this different from what you have all been using or has it been final for a while?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi ratchet,
    Yes, we have released the final version at Major Geeks. We will be making the official announcement later in the day when the website has been updated.

The changes between this version and the last Beta were minor additions needed to complete the supported localizations. We see no reason however for customers and users to wait for this to get the final release version for 1.70

I was going to make the announcement here later as well, but this thread serves as official notice to the members at Wilder's.

We will be exploring some new features for the Business Edition later this month or next (tentative). So far the internal testing is going well, but not yet ready for public testing.

The new builds are as follows:

RVS Personal Edition 1.70.7502
    RVS Business Edition 1.70.7501

Mike

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the reply! I haven't taken the plunge yet, however, I am approaching that point.

4. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Took the plunge from 1.62.4107 to 1.70.7502 all is good. Lucky me I never had a problem with earlier version, the latest is greatest ! :thumb:

5. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have never had one minutes worth of trouble from the 1.62 version. Is there any real benefit for me to upgrade to the new version? If so what are the benefits?

If I do upgrade I assume I must uninstall the older version before installing the newer one. Is that correct or can I install over the top of the older one?

Also, are there any special instructions before uninstalling to make for a better uninstall if I do have to uninstall the older version first, such as the unmounting the virtual partition first, etc?

Thanks

6. Coldmoon

Hi Firebytes,
    New in 1.70:

- System Protection Scheduler – Fully automated and customizable scheduler for the System Protection feature.
    - Installation Wizard upgrade – The installation now allows the user to configure more options during install.
    - RVS Toolbar visual upgrade – The RVS toolbar will change colors as an additional visual aide to the user for current System Protection status.
    - RVS Toolbar feature upgrade – The RVS Toolbar now includes the same right click options menu as the Tray Icon.
    - Program Access Password – Access Password Manager now included in optional program settings rather than the Main Status Screen.
    - RAID 0 – Now compatible with RAID 0 arrays.
    - SATA/IDE combinations – Solution added to address issues when using SATA and IDE drives in combination.
    - NTFS compression – Virtual Partition technology now compatible on compressed System Partitions using this form of compression.
    - Preference protection – Solution added to harden RVS against damage to user preferences.
    - RVS Tray Icon recovery – RVS now able to recover its Tray Icon if Explorer crashes.
    - HotKey upgrade – The hotkey feature now accepts “none” as a valid hotkey selection.
    - User’s Manual – Manual updated for 1.70
    - Display update – Actual Hard Disk and partition designations shown in Main GUI and Toolbar to aide in troubleshooting (EX: [HarddiskVolumeX]).

The RVS installer will recognize a previous installation.

You do not have to remove the Virtual Partition to upgrade. If you decide to uninstall, then install the new version, you can exclude the VP from removal by option - see the user's manual -> uninstall page

Mike

7. Firebytes

Thanks for the quick reply Coldmoon and thanks for a fine program as well.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone using this with Vista?

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very Nice. All appreciated Coldmoon:

Pass along all our thanks to the engineering team would ya?

Thanks!

I noticed this on some other applications of mine but more pronounced on some customization apps i use and have no choice but to let (HIPS) SSM "keep this process in memory" to restart when explorer takes a hike.

Which brings me to something i won't harp on but needs mentioned. Anyone else notice on NT systems of XP that explorer exhibits almost the same exact problems occasionally that used to plague old 98SE & Me systems, except for the prompt of "This Application Has Performed An Illegal Operation" Blah Blah Blah.

Same old funny business as before now with XP but recovers the desktop and such but some apps still fall down & out. ;)

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Seems fine on this Vista install here.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Just installed the latest,as others say the previous one was already that good,i wonder how they can make it any better. Obviously an instant switch without reboot makes it perfect,but this is asking to much at the moment.
    I am very pleased with Returnil after previously running ShadowDefender and Powershadow.

Thanks for this great app !!

12. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Again yesterday, I had the issue of ''device not found/failed'' and the serial key had disappeared again so had to uninstall/reinstall.

Anyone know if this build resolves this problem ?

Thanks

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I agree. I laid off it completely untill this version and now i'm glad i did. Returnil is tremendously quiet and stable as a software can be, plus it does all it claims with remarkable ease so far.

Thanks for such a very precise Help Manual, it's simple to understand and should be because theres not really that much to configure, set a few settings and it does all the rest at will.

Personally i take more advantage of Session Lock and the Virtual Partition.

@Coldmoon

Without giving away any trade secrets how in the world were they able to fashion virtualizing in memory only this way. I held great apprehension at first it might tax the actual physical memory in much the same way as a disc virtualizer might, but i just don't believe thats the case at all.

So on reflection of my earlier doubts at the very start i find this method is very well received by the system in a way that really is beneficial, but how in the world is the development team able to clone in memory? Is there that much space in memory as a disc? Or is there some limitations at some point?

Thanks

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Now at this stage i must admit---A WELL CRAFTED PIECE OF SAVEWARE !!

A topguardian who keeps low profile.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter

I am not sure exactly what they hold in memory, but, it certainly can't be everything you do while protected. My system(XP Pro,SP2) has 4gb of memory with Windows showing abougt 2.87gb. I copied a 16gb Shadowprotect image from my 2nd internal drive to my desktop which of course is protected. I then mounted the image, and extracted 11 zip files which were about 1/2 gb total size. It's obvious that these files were stored on the disk drive someplace. Rebooting did indeed put everything back the way it was.

While not specific to Returnil, I understand the way some of the Shadow programs work is to modify the mft when protection is on, so disk writes are redirected to another specified portion of the disk. Upon rebooting, the system goes back to the original MFT so it's like the changes never happened.

Be interesting to see Coldmoon's response.

Pete

16. Coldmoon

Hello Pete,
    First we need to address the speculation regarding use of MFT cloning. We do not use MFT cloning because it is specific to NTFS. We also support FAT16 and 32 which use a different format (FAT). MFT cloning has an additional downside in that it is vulnerable to attack from tools like WinHex.

Without getting into too much detail, RVS uses virtual memory to supplement its use of real memory. The virtual memory in this case is both our own internal VM and Window's VM if required. This is different and separate from the RVS Virtual Partition (if used).

This will become more apparent in our next Business Edition Beta series that will allow users to commit changes to disk while using the System Protection/Session Lock feature.

Mike

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay, I understand. In simple terms, Returnil uses..... MAGIC:D

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd find a way to get more money from me.:D

Cheers,

Pete

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

EXCELLENT! And thanks for being here to walk us thru everything. "THAT" alone proves you care and take great pride in rolling out a Magnificient useful product.

All The Best! EASTER

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If I am running both Vista and XP with paging disabled can this be a prob in the proper functioning of Returnil?

With Vista after booting up, the Superfetch feature loads most often used apps into memory.

If you slip into Returnil mode after Superfetch has finished does Returnil also reload this memory block of apps into it's own memory usage?

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And while we're asking questions here, will Returnil be in anyway affected when you change a certain registry setting like this that accelerates a reboot like this one.

;Speed up shutdown
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="3000"

21. Coldmoon

Hi Franklin,
    Other than the normal cautions regarding "out of memory" erros that can occur with this configuration if you do not have a large amount of RAM installed (over 1 GB at least with XP), you should not see or experience any issues with RVS performance.

As for the prefetch (XP) and superfetch (Vista), there will not be any issues outside of retaining changes following a reboot when using the protection feature. The Superfetch feature will work as expected while you are in your current login session; then it will be reset to the state it was in when you turned the protection feature on following a reboot.

Mike

22. Coldmoon

Hi Easter,
    This will not effect RVS performance or effectiveness.

Mike

23. silat

silat Registered Member

Anyone have a link to the new PERSONAL edition? MajorGeeks doesnt show the new PERSONAL edition for me. Neither does the returnil site.

24. Coldmoon

25. Firebytes

Coldmoon,

No biggie but I just noticed that the new version of Returnil has a typo when you go into Session Lock and get the pop up about recommending closing other applications first. Thought I would bring it to your attention. I only looked briefly but I believe the word "protection" was the one with the typo. I think it was spelled "protectio"

Great program though. I wouldn't be without it. Thanks.

edit: It's in the old version too, just never noticed it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.