So I'm still confused about anti-spywares!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I admit that I'm satisfactorily protected right now, especially since most of my surfing is in Sandboxie. However, having said that, almost all "how tos" list a FW, a-v and a-sw. For a long time, relative to a-sw, I've only kept Windows Defender enabled but since installing Mamutu have shut it down. So I've got Online Armor Premium with its HIPS, NOD32 with its supposed a-sw protection and now Mamutu enabled, however, unless I'm mistaken, non of these are specific a-sw apps. I realize adware/spyware is not necessarily the most dangerous thing to land on a pc but why do all of the "experts" recommend a-sw programs? Of course I can also scan periodically with WD, Syware Doctor (starter edition) and Malwarebytes and could install and do the same with Super AS.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You only need anti-spyware programs as a backup to your antivirus, and then only if your AV isn't so good with detecting malware, which most well-known ones are now. While I appreciate the good intentions of these "how-to" lists, you really cannot take them literally. Security depends more on YOU than it does what apps you have in place. If you're not a careless clicker, keep your browser updated with all security patches and configure them a little for extra safety and you scan everything you download with a good anti-virus prior to opening/executing, you don't need anything else in your security setup...period.

EVERY virus and piece of malware HAS to execute before it can do anything at all to you. It's just like a gun, you can sit it out in plain view, loaded and cocked, but if you don't pull the trigger, it can't do a thing. No HIPS, anti-virus, anti-malware, or sandbox is ever going to replace your brain, ever. You're also going overkill with both OA HIPS and Mamatu. Pick one or the other if you truly feel you need it.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There was a period where AV and AS were distinct, separate applications and it was necessary to use both for adequate protection. Then gradually the AV developers began including AS in their products and today most AV's cover both categories of malware. That said there are still dedicated AS programs, such as MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware, which in my experience detect and remove some kinds of malware better then standard AV. NOD32's spyware protection may be fine, but it doesn't hurt to use MBAM and SAS for occasional "on demand" scans - it's good to get a second opinion. Hope this helps.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

One good AV (and a brain!) should take care of spyware.
    I don't know how good NOD32 is at that.
    av-comparatives.org ?

Your security setup seems overkill, IMO.

I would get rid of the Spyware Doctor. Even since version 5 was released, it caused me nothing but problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.