So all of this restore is confusing to me!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Is XP Restore an image or a snapshot, and what are its limitations (I use it all the time when I say" Why did I just do that")? I have Ghost 10 which I've used several times to recover just certain files. I believe it is an image program. So what is an image and what is a snapshot? Thank You!

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This description is from Kellys-Korner:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm
    I don't know whether or not it qualifies as an "image" or "snapshot" as those terms are used today.

I know several people who use XP restore. I know of only one instance where a person used it to restore after getting a virus: it was an AIM zero-day virus that sneaked in past his AV. He successfully restored to the previous restore point and all was well.

----
    rich

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I know at least one big limitation of XP Restore : if you can't boot in XP anymore, XP restore is worthless. Only an IMAGE can save you then. To me, images are always related to Image Backup/Restore softwares.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Windows Restore is a type of snapshot. But not a complete one. I have never read a definitive explanation of everything it can roll back but I do know it's far from everything.

The instant restore apps talked about here do make complete snapshots (although how they go about it are different.)

I associate images with more of a bare metal approach. Things are so bad that one must boot from outside of Windows and start from scratch to put things back to normal.

Ghost is indeed an imaging program... :)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Erik,
    Would you name some imaging software products that would be easy for a novice to use?
    I'm looking to be able to 'restore' my OS as well as files that may get infected or corrupt.
    Thanks.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi hugger,
    i would reccomend you trial eiether paragon,norton ghost or shadow protect desktop.
    lodore

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I second that,except voor ghost 2003,this app.is definitely not for the novice.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ShadowProtect Desktop v2 (v3 is better) is the one I use, probably the fastest at this moment and very reliable. I've done numerous backups and restores in September-October without any error.
    SPD has also a ready-to-use Recovery CD, which can also be used to install SPD under Windows. SPD recognizes my external harddisk each time. SPD restores also images on zero-ed harddisks. I don't need much more. You can find the rest in the manual.

I hardly use ShadowProtect to recover my system, I use FDISR to solve 99% of my problems (boot-to-restore) in less than 2 minuts. SPD is fast, but not that fast. SPD needs 10 minuts to do the same, loading time of CD included.
    I use SPD mainly to maintain my basic clean images in order to keep them up-to-date.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i ment norton ghost 12 since norton ghost 2003 doesnt really have usb support or sata drive support.
    norton ghost 12 had a winpe recovery cd.
    if i had the cash i would be using shadow protect desktop.
    lodore

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

So they switched from linux to winpe,thats a better move !!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if someone knows where i can get norton ghost 12 cheap give me a link.
    or even Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition
    lodore

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.