snoopfree

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by gre87y, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

I just downloaded snoopfree http://www.snoopfree.com/default.htm day before yesterday and today I recieved an alert from process guard that snoopfree was trying to modify an exsisting driver. Can anyone tell me if this sounds normal or is something funny going on now that I should be aware of? What reason would snoopfree be modifying a driver for? Thanks in advance.

2. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I think they call that "hooking" it to monitor if any changes occur.I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I remember SnoopFree trying to add a driver but I don't remember it trying to modify a driver. I certainly would not allow SnoopFree to modify any driver. In any case, it is redundant with the protection that ProcessGuard is providing - i.e. monitor and prevent global screen and keyboard hooks. My recommendation would be to uninstall SnoopFree if you are not comfortable with its behavior on your machine.

Rich

4. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Rich, lynchknot
    Thanks for your answers. Did you have any problems with the uninstall? The reason I ask is I read the uninstalling snoopfree can create problems, I pasted the story below that I found at http://www.readablog.com/feed10105.aspx

"Snoop Free Privacy Shield - Caution!
    On the surface this looked like a good program, I downloaded it, installed it, and started using it. After a while (less than a week) I noticed some things on my computer didn't seem to be running the way they should so I went to my program menu went to Snoop free Privacy shield and found that it had no Uninstaller. This was problem number one. I then decided to use Winpatrol and the "msconfig" option to at lease remove it from the startup on my computer. When I did this Winpatrol was asking me once every two or three minutes if I wanted to allow Snoop Free Privacy shield to add itself to the start menu. Here is where I become concerned and angry because now the program is trying to force itself into the start menu despite my best efforts to remove it. My next step was to go to the start bar then search and searc for Snoop Free. Every file I found I deleted. I then ran a registry cleaner "ccleaner" (Which I like a lot) and tried to make sure it removed those entries. After I rebooted the computer I could access everything from the icons but when I tried through the start menu my computer would lock up, and I was still seeing references to snoop free. I'm sure someone worked hard to make this program and probably had good intentions but I am one that will make a quick judgement on a program especially when I see they are intrusive and don't allow you to get rid of them easy. This one I would stay away from if you happen to be looking around on Download.com. I wouldn't reccomend anything I wouldn't use on my computer and this is one of those programs. My first clue should have been it didn't have a uninstaller. Lesson learned on my part especially after I spent 4 hrs on the recovery process of my "C" Drive. That was not fun."
    Thank you
    gre87y

5. lynchknot

well I see an uninstall using Your Uninstaller 2004

6. ghassan

ghassan Registered Member

Hi,

You can use the regular Add or Remove Progam from the Control Panel, I just tried it

7. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

lynchknot ,ghassan,
    Thanks for the info .

8. lynchknot

Or you can just run the install again and it will uninstall.

9. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

I uninstalled in safe mode without any problems.
    Thanks again for your time and advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.