Snap Deploy 3 questions

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Andrew4728, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew4728

Andrew4728 Registered Member

Hey all, I been reading the forum, and havn't seen anything that answers my following question:

With Snap Deploy 3, can you configure all your PCs to automatically boot to PXE server, check if any scheduled events are configured, and if no events are scheduled for the PC, boot of hard drive into current windows installation?

I'm looking for a way to deploy installations from my desk! Call me lazy, but I don't even want to have to go to the PC console and press F11 or whatever.

I'm also looking to use the WOL functionality so late nights, we can turn on the PCs, and then they will loginto PXE server and check if any scheduled events are configured for them.

I like the idea of having the flexibility of booting the PCs off a disk, or the PXE server when I am at the computer, but I want the ease of deploying remotely without physically touching the computer.

Thanks for your help!

Andrew:D

2. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

this option isn't there yet. But you'll have to walk 1 time and place PXE boot as the first boot device and all will work as you wanted ;-)

3. Andrew4728

Oh I don't mind initial setup. I can configure each of our PCs to boot off LAN no problem. But I just wanted to find out if they are set to boot from LAN ONLY in the BIOS, would they connect to PXE server, check for any scheduled installs (by MAC ADDRESS) and if non are scheduled, continue to boot off the local HD with no user interaction required at the local machine?

Thanks.

4. Andrew4728

Any help would be appreciated. I am currently playing with the trial version on a VMWARE Server2003. I got the PXE to boot correctly and install my images. That is working pretty well so far. But my ultimate goal is :

Set all of our machines to boot to PXE server and connect to snap deploy server. If no scheduled events are set (or a basic timeout option), exit acronis snap deploy agent and boot normally off of local HD.

This way we can configure our PCs 1 time to boot off of snap deploy, and if no images are scheduled, they will boot off HD as normal.

Can anyone tell me how to configure a timeout on the acronis snap deploy agent? Thanks!

5. caleum

caleum Registered Member

Set PXE first in boot order on all machines. Use anything besides Acronis PXE server. set chainloader +1 as default in pxe boot, then switch the configuration file default to snap deplay whenever you want to reimage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.