Smart Security Personal Firewall fails

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by optique, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optique

optique Registered Member

Greetings,

Background: Win 7 Pro 64bit, new laptop no SS installed.

After installing SS, I get an error in Windows that says your computer is not protected by a firewall or is corrupted, and that I should re-install Smart security.

What I did:
    Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. Result: Same error.
    Repeated above, but deleted ESET subdir first, with same result.

I have a support ticket open but wanted to see if anyone had ideas. I am a long time xp and Vista ESET SS user with never a problem.

Thanks.
    steve.

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Does ESS show any problem with the firewall, or is it just windows that is not recognizing the firewall?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try the following:
    - disable self-defense (SD) and restart the computer
    - set firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols" and restart the computer
    If it resolves the problem, enable SD and restart the computer. Should the problem persist, try installing the latest NIC driver or disable IPv6.

4. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Sometimes when I'm testing new hardware and overclock too far and freeze my PC and need to hard reset it the FW fails.

I simply set Windows to do a 3 stage CHKDSK at next startup and it fixes issue.

I have however had FW issue that were totally Set's fault in previous builds.

5. optique

Actually, two messages appear. Windows says there is no firewall, and ESET says to reinstall.

6. optique

I followed your steps exactly, and now the ESET firewall error does not appear!

All would seem ok, but now I can connect to my wireless and wired network, but CAN NOT get to the net. The wireless connection status says I have no IPv4 or 6 connectivity. This was the situation before when the ESET firewall was not working also. (When I uninstalled ESET, my connectivity was restored.) I am typing this from another pc on my net so I know my network is ok.

What else should I try?

7. optique

Update:

ESET support suggested that I try the SS beta 4.2. Result was mostly the same, the firewall does not start.

I attached the debugging logs and scans as they requested.

I will update as things happen.
    steve.

8. optique

Marcos,

While I am waiting for a response from Support, I thought I would post these two Event log items in hopes you or someone else could address a fix.

2/9/2010 12:35:42 PM Personal firewall Error communicating with epfwndis.sys driver.

2/9/2010 12:35:42 PM Personal firewall An error occurred while starting firewall services. The Personal firewall will not work.

I checked that "epfwndis" appears in my device mgr dialog (win7 pro 64) and it does not. This makes me think the problem is that this driver was not installed.

Anyone have a comment or idea?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve.

9. optique

Refund Requested becase Pers Firewall would not install

After many emails and testing, tech support was unable to solve why the PF would not install correctly.

I have requested a refund.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Re: Refund Requested becase Pers Firewall would not install

The problem shouldn't occur with firewall integration set to "Only scan application protocols" as the NDIS driver wouldn't be used in such case at all.

You can also try disabling IPv6 as follows:
    1. Run Registry Editor (type regedit in StartSearch or Run Dialog box).
    2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters
    3. In the right pane, create a DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisabledComponents
    4. Double-click DisabledComponents, and then set its data value ffffffff in HEX
    5. Restart your Windows to take effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.