Slitaz 2 - 30MB of joy

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

I've written a review of Slitaz 2.0, a 30MB live CD Linux distro; topics covered: desktop features, new package management, applications, Samba sharing, multimedia support (Flash, Windows video, MP3 playback), Wireless support, effects, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/slitaz-2.html

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
    Mrk

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

man, Slitaz is just getting bloated :D .

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It's a 20% increase in fat!
    Mrk

4. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Slitaz is a great little distro. Version 2 is certainly a step up from 1. Probably my favourite mini distro. Anyone looking for a tiny os that's fairly easy to use should check out Slitaz. It supports multiuser and is fairly newb friendly unlike other micro distros such as tinycore and puppy. Don't get me wrong, those two are fantastic but Slitaz shades it when it comes to usability.

5. Slitaz is nice, but the HAL stuff is kind of buggy at the moment. No, make that *extremely* buggy. Put a CD in in 2.0, and not only can you not mount it, you can't eject it either!

That said, the distro shows quite a lot of promise. It is by far the fastest Linux distribution I have ever used, and even with the full Xorg package installed it whips WinXP's behind on older machines. And the security isn't bad either, considering that most "mini" distros run as root or use sudo nopasswd by default.

IMHO Slitaz would stand as an awesome example of just how good Linux can be, if only a bit more effort was put into cleaning up bugs in the default install...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.