Sleep/Hibernate in Windows 7 64bit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I am using W7 64 bit for the first time and wondered what most here used/recommended for sleep/hibernate options. Using XP for many years I almost always used stand by, even for several days, and never had any issues. But I have been using sleep overnight with W7 and it seems to have problems coming out of it. Like trouble picking up wireless etc. After several minutes it seems fine but was not sure if using sleep overnight or for extended periods was a bad idea. What about hibernate, is that a better option? Or would you recommend just leaving W7 on for days/weeks with only occasional reboots?

Thanks.

roark

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use two computers, laptop and desktop. I use the balanced power settings on the laptop in order to conserve the battery while not charging.

Both computers are on 24/7 other than when bad weather is around. I unplug the desktop and use the laptop in that case.

I have found no problems when coming out of the sleep mode. I give the computers time to settle in but that is a preference of mine.

If you let them sleep, you're saving energy and that's a good thing.

3. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i also use standby mode on several different computers and have never had any problems coming out of standby, other the slight delay before wireless comes back and sometimes the drives dont always wake up from power saving mode immediately but this is back to normal after a few seconds. the only problems i have had are due to the bios not being set to wake on keypress,mouse move etc but this has always been down to my own fault for not setting the bios.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use the hibernate/sleep option in win7, and actually in XP as well now. If you hardware supports the S3 state, you can enable it.

I choose this route because I want my fans to shut off, rather than run as they do with standby. The old hibernate was a bit slow to come out of. The new hybrid one is only slightly longer than the regular standby we have been used to.

Sul.

5. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Sounds like it comes out of sleep, it's just slow. Have you defragmented the drive lately or deleted the temporary internet files? Perhaps that will speed things up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.