Sixth Reformat

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Shunned, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Just breezing in for a moment to share the following:
    In the past two weeks I've reformated one computer six times always to have the same end results,. the moment the M$ updates are installed strange happenings begin....sudden pop-ups from microsoft stating about "safe" something or other...an a box already checked to enable FILE SHARING and SITE CERTIFICATES.......ethernet is mention., etc...

The operating system is win98se...but the things mention are much like the XP SP1.....
    Strange happening with the firewall...engine.."enable manually" checked....when it was set to start with windows start-up......prior to connect there is a url listening on ports 137, 138, 139, which Comes and GOES randomly.....there one moment then gone......spent the past two hours on the phone with the isp....its not them....nor is it DCOM or Rpcss....cause those would be Always There...not hit and run like is being seen.....the firewall is solid...no leaks...
    So, now comes the 7Th reformat first thing tomorrow.....the M$ updates are needed...but will be very selectively installed...hell of a way to do run a computer.....have reformated hundreds of computers over the years an never saw anything like this.......oh, the reformated computer works super nice...after tweaked its smooth......
    I am not going to waste any more time on the computer after the next and last reformat...if all goes well great, if not thats the luck of the roll.....it seems very odd that this happen now for the first time....an never prior....very odd......just sharing those thoughts ...oh, yes, scanned for viruses and trojans....five scanners used.....clean!!

2. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Forgot to mention.., NO E-MAIL!! Impossible as yet to login to isp provided email.......the isp was able to Finally login the email account on Their end.....but no change of settings allow me to login.....now thats un-real!

3. RIFLEMAN

RIFLEMAN Registered Member

I am pretty new to this--but thought I should mention my experience yesterday reinstalling XP and repartitioning my hard drive.
    After XP was installed---I got it set up to go online for security updates. As soon as I went online I got hit with at least two trojans--Nachib, and some Gaobot thingy. This happened in seconds of going online naked without any security installed. Perhaps the same happened to you trying to update?
    I also mention when reinstalling the partitions--there was originally 2-----one was FAT of around 35 megs. I assumed this was the Dell installed drivers and such. Perhaps you have a nasty in that partition?
    One more thing---about Email. I set up my Email through the XP wizard and it works fine---but I get an error screen saying it could not find my IP providers POP server. It does sign on and work though. Hope something here helps.
    I got rid of the trojans using TDS and AVG freeantivirus. I had to manually delete the Gaobot thingy because Nothing would detect the process when I deactivated it.

4. Shunned

Shunned Guest

RM

Nice of you to express interest, thank you.
    An sorry to hear you got that trojan.
    In my case firewall and anti virus, plus more, is re-installed prior to connecting to the internet. After the next (seventh) reformat no updates will be installed, or, will locate needed updates elsewhere and be selective.....
    This is no real big issue..I can do without M$ Windows......just decided to rebuild a couple of old computers that were stored in the basement......an became curious after the above posted results happened.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

shunned you might want to check for 9x updates here .

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25447

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.