Simple windows xp firewall to run in xp VM

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by LMHmedchem, Apr 2, 2016.

1. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem Registered Member

Hello,

I run windows XP in virtualbox on an opensuse host. This VM generally does not have an internet connection because the network adapter has been disabled in virtualbox. I use this to run some windows applications when I am in linux. At times, I need an internet connection because the windows apps seem to think there was a hardware change and the apps need to be re-authorized. I could do this over the phone but I think I would just like to have a simple firewall that I can enable when I need to re-authorize or update the windows apps. I also might install a network printer to use occasionally from inside the VM.

I am looking for a lightweight firewall that will run on XP. I wouldn't run this firewall very often, so it has to be reasonable to have it start on boot, or not. Firewalls like Comodo have to be uninstalled in order to keep some of their components from running at boot, even with the firewall off. I would need simple configurations to white-list all access and be able to define allowed IP addresses. Allowed domains would be better.

What I am thinking is that I would turn on the firewall and shut down the VM. Then I would enable the network adapter and restart the VM. I could then do updates and such, shut down, and kill networking. This is only a very occasional process, so it doesn't have to be super slick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LMHmedchem

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.