Simple Solution For Browser Fingerprinting

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by marktor, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marktor

marktor Registered Member

As I see it there is a very simple solution for browser fingerprinting. Use one browser when you are not connected to a VPN and use another when you are connected to a VPN. If your not familiar with browser finger printing see here: https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Let me explain.... Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding this.

So you login to your banking, personal email etc with VPN disabled you could use Opera to do this. Then when you connect to your VPN service you use Firefox for all of the browsing you want to be private. You never use Opera while using the VPN and you never use Firefox will disconnected from the VPN.

For me the real threat I see in browsing fingerprinting is linking your non-VPN browsing with your VPN browsing. If you use the same browser for both I suppose this could be plausible but if you use 2 different browsers I dont see how this could be possible.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, I use a separate profile for private browsing. It's still pretty unique (1 in 400k or something) but the two will never be connected through fingerprinting.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Using separate machines (VMs, at least) is also prudent.

4. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

no vm required

why make life so difficult? keep it simple and use tor for all things private and your regular firefox for the rest , tor browser bundle,gives you an different ip and your vpn ontop makes it just about untraceable , and nobody will give a hoot about "fingerprinting" ;)

p.s: heres an result of that link you gave us xD

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,047,518 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 20.97 bits of identifying information. < ill be waiting lols ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. themostsecurebrain

themostsecurebrain Registered Member

But what if I don't want my bank to know my geographic location? What then?

And what if I have multiple online identities that I don't want connected together but also don't want any of them connected to the original ip address issued by my isp?

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Use VPN services or Tor. With VPNs, use a different exit node for each identity. If necessary for establishing accounts, find valid addresses and telephone numbers where odd messages will likely be ignored. If telephone activation is required, use an anonymous cellphone. For increased anonymity, chain VPNs, and use a different exit VPN for each identity. Tor doesn't work well for stable identities, because exit IPs change so randomly (by design, of course, to increase anonymity). Running anonymously bought VPNs through Tor fixes that problem, but it's very slow and unreliable.

7. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. inka

inka Registered Member

Just send the money to me, and I'll forward it. I promise ; )
    THAT will surely confuse those durn banking buzzards, eh?

Anyhow, ironically, the websites for my local bank and for my credit card providers are among the worst offenders, in terms of embedding barnacles (er, "trackers") in their pages. Everyone from comscore to ganalytics to amazon to bluekai to... all the bank's "partners" are granted an opportunity to cookie-sniff and/or drop a beacon on ya each time you visit. Grrrrr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.