Simple snapshot recovery programe required

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ellison64, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Absolutely agree. It just doesn't fit my work style so.....

2. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Any idea why SP only sees the baseline within Windows? If I image with DS in Windows then I get the current state. I thought that this was the same for all imaging software...but obviously not. Sorry, OT but was puzzled by this.

Graham

3. appster

appster Registered Member

Graham, I believe what Peter is saying is that SP only 'sees' the baseline snapshot when imaging from SP's boot CD (but not using 'empty sectors' mode). It's impractical for Peter to use SP's 'empty sectors' mode because of the large size of his C-drive.

Btw, that action is consistent with what happens when any disk-imaging program is used to backup a partition with RB installed when using the boot CD in normal mode. And (as you say) if you create the image from within Windows, you only capture the current snapshot. It's only when the image is created from the boot CD using sector-by-sector mode (or DS' maintenance mode) that all RB snapshots are captured.

4. Peter2150

Hi Appster

You nailed it right on.

Pete

5. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Thanks, appster. Yes, I missed the 'boot CD' bit. I think I wasn't sure on why Pete updated the baseline to the current state, losing the existing snapshots, when the image could have been made within Windows which would have still produced the current state in the image. But maybe this was about retaining the RB installation intact. I'm sure there was a good reason :) .

Graham

6. Peter2150

Exactlly. doing it in windows required reinstalling Rollback, and stil only preserved the one image. Rolling back to baseline wasn't an issue from the aspect of losing snapshot for me. It was the hassle of the whole thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.