Sidux in trouble

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

As mentioned on this site, there has been a heavy dispute in the Sidux community, or more exactly, between the Sidux foundation and the developers with the result that both will separate. In the Sidux forum there is discussion that Sidux might be continued under a new name. Right now, there is a code freeze.

This is really sad, but it supports my tendency to shy away from small distros and to rather prefer the big ones with a more predictable future.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Linux is Linux, it's always on the move, forever changing, update, upgrade, re-install.....

so

What's the difference between running Sidux for the years it's been out and now having to change to another distro, or running a so called "more predictable future" distro like Ubuntu and re-installing (or upgrading) to the new version every 6 months ?

If the little guy goes down you move on, should be easy for the Linux user who's alway on the move no matter what distro is used ;)

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, you're not forced to upgrade to a new version every 6 months ...

But aside from that, I agree that you can use any distro if you have some experience. Nevertheless, every distro has its peculiarities and I don't feel like constantly adapting myself to a new one. But everyone to one's own taste ...

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

sidux seperated before from another fork, now it splits again. This is where I am more comfy with Canonical, RH, Novell etc. Constricting it may sound, it does bring some stability for long term use.

5. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I'm not entirely sure of the details but wasn't kanotix born out of a sidux bust up over what base to use? Looks like lightening has struck twice.

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Thats correct, much as I like sidux, the devs are real FOSS fanatics and unless you are a real Linux geek, this distro, however good it maybe is just not for you.

7. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Kanotix came first, the sidux people left that project. BTW, Kano has a 2010 version, might be worth trying out. Kanotix in the past was always a pretty user-friendly distro.

8. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

9. tlu

tlu Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.