sidux 2009-01

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by rdsu, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

sidux 2009-01 uranos

A new version of sidux is out!

Continue reading for better understand this release like release notes, minimal system requirements, hardware support, localization, etc...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And I just tested Pontos ... well ... tough ...
    Mrk

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

And o_O

4. Mrkvonic

I will post it in a few days/weeks ... just got back from a vacation, will update later today ... frankly, I don't remember the posting order, so I can't say what the next article will be. There are some 25 in the pipe ...
    Mrk

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Ok, we will wait... ;)

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I already tested it.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Whats your verdict?

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Internet access works seamless, fast boot, easy installation,
    can´t say much negative. Maybe they should include some more dev. tools.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Thanks, its a quick distro as well.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, VERY quick. It's the fastest installer I have ever seen, and it boots faster than most of the others as well. Performance is very very good. :thumb:

11. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Sidux is the one distro i'm itching to try. Would there really be any benefit in using it above Arch or Debian?

Come on sidux gurus, sell it to me!

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Not a guru lol:
    Personal observations:
    Vs debian: better install, better functionality oob, less configing req, easier access to 'non-free' apps. Still plenty of scope to set-up as you like.

Vs Arch: 'different' no obvious advantages to me, heh : Arch tends to stick once touched.

It is an easy option to have a go: "different flavour" if you like.
    You restless?

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D

I was a distro hoper for more than 6 months, until I found it on year ago... :D

@Beavenburt,

Just read this short page A warm welcome from the sidux wiki, and the links on it...

The rest is better to judge yourself ;)

I'm not a Linux "Pro", but already had a few experiences with it in the past, and was very easy to use it and configure it for my needs, so...
    And on every new release is getting even better...

Hope you like it.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Linux can't be sold, it can only be tried, its so varied that one needs to try out most to find what suits best.

15. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Wise words :thumb:

16. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I promised myself I wouldn't stray again. I'm more than content with Arch
    and/or Debian. Aaaargh!!!! I must resist.

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D :D

18. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

LOL, I know what you mean!

My Intrepid installation is working flawlessly. I'll just have to stay away from the Linux forums.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The temptation is great.... I had settled on Ubuntu as it had it all, but now I have found another one which has it all too. There are just so many choices! :thumb:

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No 'bouts adout it :) : Sidux is an interesting distro to keep around.
    Always intriguing to see what they have cooked in their latest brew.

21. tlu

tlu Guest

I installed the new Sidux in a Virtualbox VM. Installation caused no problems.

First impression: I was very surprised by the speed! Yes, Sidux is fast. On the other hand, I had installed the KDE light version - with all the stuff on my Kubuntu system I wonder if that wouldn't affect adversely the speed of Sidux, either. And yes, Iceweasel (aka Firefox) starts very fast - but I wonder if that would still be true with all the many extensions I have on Kubuntu.

Second impression: I read some parts of the manual, particularly about System Administration/apt-Guide. The chapter about dist-upgrade was kind of a "revelation": You can 't use such package managers like Synaptic, Aptitude or Adept for updating the whole system or even specific packages. Rather, you have to log out of KDE, open a console, switch to init 3 and perform some finger acrobatics - but only after checking the warnings on http://sidux.com/ , of course.

I understand the rationale for this procedure (it's explained in the first link) but for me it's a knock-out criterion. One major reason why I switched from Windows to Ubuntu was its easy maintenance. I have configured Kubuntu in such a way that security updates are installed automatically. Non-security updates are installed with two mouseclicks and my password. It's a breeze to keep Ubuntu up-to-date on a daily basis - it isn't under Sidux. Call me a lazy and spoiled guy - but I make a point of convenience. I don't want to occupy myself completely with the operating system itself but rather use it as a workhorse.

Having said that, Sidux is surely an interesting distro and you can learn a lot about Linux if you use it. But it's definitely not an alternative for the big mainstream distros.

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

@tlu,

I agree with you that the dist-upgrade method isn't the best, but at least you seemed to understand why... :)

I don't bother to loose 5-10min, sometimes even less, to dist-upgrade the distro in "init 3"...
    I made this weekly.

Its other features far outweigh this...! :D

23. Mrkvonic

Well, a bit late, but a review of 2008-04 Pontos.

I believe my review fairly accurately presents sidux and its ups/down, however some of the things may have changed in Ouranos, so please take my review with a pinch of salt, some thyme and sweet paprika:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/sidux.html

Regards,
    Mrk

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Some basil. sage and oregano as well.

The flash quirk comes from the Adobe install script's foolish assumption that you have either Mozilla or Opera browser installed. To work around that you can create a dummy mozilla folder in your HOME.The experience you had with failing network samba shares as well as the multimedia issue has prevented me from recommending this super fast Distro to any newbies. For connecting to Windows you need to type smb://xxx.xxx.xxx and the shared folders are shown. I was able to get around all those issues with help from the Sidux forums but this distro needs work and till then I will remain a Ubuntu evangelist for Windows refugees.

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

@Mrkvonic,

Thanks for taking the sidux test, as I asked you few months ago... ;)

I don't know why you have to test that version, but the current version seems to have some huge differences related with software and hardware support...!
    For a fair review about it, you should use the current Full version, and then you already have, for example, Iceweasel with Java support, etc...

I also excepted a more detailed review about the propose of the distro.
    It useful for users to know it, and understand, for example, why sidux doesn't have the win32codecs and libdvdcss packages...

I installed it on my computer in April 2008 and didn't had any problem that you related during installation, so and since this is a rolling-distro, and don't know how is this now...

The rest I agree with you.

It's not a distro for a completely newbie, but its very fast, secure, and very updated with good and knowledge support.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.