sidux 2008-02 erebos

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by rdsu, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Very good stuff, highly recommended, fast and stable, I use the x64 version.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Am going to have a look tonight at the live cd, thanks rdsu (VC) and Arup... :)

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You are welcome, Kerodo ;)

Give me your feedback after try it... :p

5. L815

L815 Guest

Debian and Sidux never work with my wireless with the live cd, while Ubuntu and other based distros work perfectly o_o

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It probably needs a proprietary driver.
    Ubuntu has programs to automate the process of downloading and installing proprietary drivers, Debian does not, and probably won't either.
    If your hardware has free drivers, chances are Debian will install flawlessly. Make no mistake about it :)

Debian is a free software 'champion' if you will.
    Some will argue too extreme, but i don't. I realize the importance to stick with free software from the ground up, and not make exceptions. When you start making exceptions, you loose sight of the rule imo.

I'm referring to the distribution note. I have no problems with some proprietary software (like Opera etc.), as long as i get to choose it, and it follows standards when applicable. I think it makes sense anyway.

The user can choose whatever he/she wishes to install, including proprietary software. It's just not default. You have to opt in, and remember that it's not supported.
    Ubuntu follows this to some extent as well, but makes it trivial to install proprietary software. They have a commercial aim, Debian does not.

In case you're interested:
    http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Try to use its MetaPackages installer... ;)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Did you feel its speed and stability!?

Amazing!!!

9. L815

L815 Guest

I'll have to take a look :)

The problem that arises when I have to install the driver or manager myself is I only have access to wireless Internet.
    Though I have recently decided to take a break of Linux for a while only because of the more recent arising issues with hardware on my laptop.
    Eventually I will be building a new desktop which will be centered on Linux compatibility :D

10. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Bloody hell, i've just settled on the distros for my desktop and laptop and this comes along! When will it end I cry :D

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Give it a try... :p

12. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Stop it. I can't hop again, I just can't! o_O

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Worth the hop, its nice and fast ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.