Should I reinstall my I.E. ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SonyaM32, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I am currently using mozilla firefox, which I do like better. But, I am having some problems with some of my other forums I visit. So what I want to do is use my I.E. only for the forum visits. I want to use firefox for all else. The problem I am having is there are too many pop ups on my IE . No matter what I do, or what kind of tools I use to stop them. I have another thread somewhere here about the popup problem. What do you think about if I totally uninstall and delete my IE, and then re download and install it ? Does anyone else think that may help with my popup problem ?

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I don't know how (or if!) you can uninstall IE.......But there is a little extension that you can add into FF which allows you to open a link in IE..
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#ieview
    PS. you should not have popups in IE if you are on SP2.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I deleted IE completely once, all it took to make the comp work again was a full reformat and OS install :D ;)

bigc

4. SonyaM32

OMG Then I will not try to uninstall it . Spanner, I already have every bit of that. And I still have trwemendous problems, like every 3 minutes with popups on the IE. At first when I cleared out the privacy in internet options, I thought that was going to work, but it did not. And all of my ( what all you mentioned above ) is always running.

5. SonyaM32

Spanner plz explain active x and active scripting. I already did all but I do not know what you mean with those two, thanx
    Bigbuck, I do have sp2.

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Sonya,
    I know we went through this on the other thread, but would you check this again....note the setting at the bottom.

Attached Files:

7. SonyaM32

OK I am going to go do that, but should I disable java ? PLZ be more specific, for I don't know hardly a thing about this stuff, and thank you for your help.

8. SonyaM32

Bigbuck, I have mine set on high block. And everytime I look in the allow box there is always new ones there. I just remove them, then they just eventually come back

9. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I find the Google toolbar has a great popup stopper and I use IE all the time.

10. SonyaM32

OK, I did that, now I have a box that pops up before everything and asks me if I want to allow scripts to run. LOL :D

11. SonyaM32

Thanx so much spanner, that helps me alot. Cause I was lost for a sec. LOL
    Peace Sonya

12. SonyaM32

OK, I Will , HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, AND EVERYONE HERE !!!!! :cool:

13. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Hi Sonya,
    I don't know if you are getting regular advertising popups or spyware popups but I tend to think you are getting the latter. If you haven't already, download this free tool.

CWShredder
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

Update Adaware and Spybot. Restart in safe mode (hold F8 while rebooting) and scan with CWShredder, Adaware and Spybot. If this doesn't help, follow these rules:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662
    or
    post a Hijackthis! log at an appopriate website.

14. SonyaM32

Thanx Ailric. I dont know which either spyware, or advertising. I accidentally allowed a popup, when I had stopzilla and they never went away. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.