Should I encrypt my hard drive?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Is encrypting a hard drive really worth it? What bad can happen if I don't encrypt it?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'd be interested in hearing the answer to the first question myself - especially from the standpoint of "How much time does it take to actually get going and shutdown?" while you're waiting for an entire drive to encrypt/de-crypt.

Unfortunately, I'm more impatient than paranoid. Pete

3. notageek

LOL I only encrypt certian files and folders with MxCrypt. It don't take as long. But I still would like to know what others think. :)

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

encrypting your entire HD.... BAD.... long painfull.... to many bad experience....

5. notageek

I haven't found a reason to encrypt my hard drive yet. I'm still looking for a good reason. :)

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

We're just starting a project to encrypt hard disks.
    Lots of our account managers carry loads of privacy sensitive stuff around. And we've got some kind of a fraud squad (we're an insurance company).

Since I demonstrated a way to hack every Windows laptop, just using one floppy (it's a linux based hack tool, just for the grabs on the internet), the need to protect our data by more than just a password was made clear. Then there are lots of regulations around, so privacy is a main concern.

Using encryption of the hard disk, any theft is just a financial issue, not a privacy problem anymore.

We chose not to use EFS, because we want our users not to worry about how to use it. And there's a local Siebel database, that's secured now too,

We use Safeboot with an ActiveCard token, to keep the key separate from the data. There's no performance problem. It''s all very transparant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.