Shields Up!!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Comp01, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

This is my new PC (Newer, anyways) I just now tested it on Shields up, (A couple times) The first time, it said Unsolicited TCP packets were received, and I failed, the next it said but unsolicited AND solicted TCP packets were recieved, I disconnected from the internet temporarily, and reconnected, now I've tested twice, and I've passed both times, I use Sygate Firewall, (Only as a block/allow, I dont use the advanced rules, however, iIdo have a rule to block all ICMP traffic), is there a reason why/how this happened? the only programs that were connected to the internet that I had running were FireFox, mIRC and Trillian, could it have possibly been one of these programs accepted them?

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Comp01

I believe it is common (or at least not unusual) to receive differing results on multiple tests like this. There could have been a minor change on your system, like Trillian wasn't running.

Alternatively, Shields Up might not have tested the exact same ports each time - I believe (don't quote me) that the "common ports" test doesn't always test the same exact ports each time, and your post didn't say whether you used the "common ports" test or the "all ports" test.

I think the best way to be "reassured" by these sorts of tests is to use multiple tests and see if they generally agree with each other (i.e. report you're not stealthed or you are). You can try Pcflank.com, Sygate Online Services (sos), Blackcode.com, and this one: http://www.leader.ru/secure/who.html

I basically use the "All Ports" test at Shields Up, then Sygate Online (both Quick and Stealth tests), then PCFlank. If they all agree, I rest easy.

HTH, YMMV, etc.

Regards,
    Optigrab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.