Sharing the same Firefox profile in Win/Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Apparently it's possible to point Firefox in Linux towards a Firefox profile folder in Windows, or vice versa, either using the Profile Manager or the -profile command switch. I just had this idea a few minutes ago and tried it out, and now I'm sharing my extensions and user data across both Vista and Ubuntu with no noticeable problems.

I know this is trivial, but just sharing it for people who haven't thought of it. This is probably applicable for Opera as well, if one modifies the profile folder path using opera:config.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You won't be able to do the 'vice versa' part, as Win can't read Linux partitions. But apparently you can do it from Linux to Win. Interesting....

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, when I first started using Ubuntu, I just zipped my entire Opera profile
    folder in Windows, and after installing Opera in Ubuntu, simply extracted to
    ~/.opera, overwriting the existing files. Was easy. :D

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

True, but then your profiles diverge from that point onwards. The idea of my post is to point both Windows and Linux Firefox installs towards the same profile folder, so you continue to have the same settings, user data, extensions etc in both OSes.

IIRC, I think there was a tutorial on how to teach Windows to read ext? partitions buried somewhere in here. Though I guess it doesn't really matter for this particular purpose.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, now that I think about it, I seem to remember something like that too. Although, I'm not sure if all the effort would be worth it. :)

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, see what you mean. This might also be a way .. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=660251

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

You can if you use Ext2 IFS For Windows which also works with a "clean" ext3 fs. I use it will Slackware without problems.

If you are networked sharing profiles across machines is a piece of cake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.