Shared i-net through crossover problem... pls help.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sl0ppy, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sl0ppy

sl0ppy Guest

Good day.

I've had a shared internet connection running including a network connection
    through crossover cable for months. Was some pain setting it up the first time.
    But once it was running, it ran smooth, and did so for months now.
    All the other pc has sometimes, is that when I reboot, I reconnect the internet,
    and the 2nd pc needs to recover its networkbridge in order to have that shared
    i-net connection again. But thats about it, so no problems or anything.

Last night, I rebooted the host pc, and put up a movie for in bed.
    Didn't bother to make i-net connection till this morning. In the morning I did.
    Turns out the 2nd pc has a perfect LAN connection with the host pc.
    But unable to get the i-net connection running. Asking for a new ip and it
    couldn't get any. While we haven't done a single thing to the network setup
    of the computers, just totally out of the blue.
    I checked it a couple of time.
    When I manually put in the previous used ip for the 2nd pc, in the nic that was
    used by the network bridge. And tried to recover the bridge. It said recovery
    completed within a flat second, like it always did before. But no i-net connection.
    When I put it to automaticly recover an ip, or any other ip manually then the ip the 2nd pc used. Then after recovery it says that it was unable to uptain
    a new ip.

Any clueo_O anybodyo_O pls...
    Tried everything. and I'm all out of ideas... there shouldn't even be an issue
    in the first place.

Both systems running Windows XP, 1 pro, 1 home edition, both SP2 installed.
    Yes against all opinions, we use SP2 :p And my system ( the host lol ) runs like a baby, but thats all beside the point.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Regards
    s|0ppy

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi there Sl---y, excuse me but I reserve this name calling for close friends... :D

Here's the deal ~ By no means do I have any in-depth knowledge of what issues you're facing....
    so I'll take you up on "any help," OK. I realize this is case specific, please mind my limited offerings.

• Windows XP Network Problem Solver
      This may be of interest....Michna's experimental 'Interactive Dynamic HTML' page.
      Just plug in you're info, click for results. I'd be interested to know if you utilize it.
      *You'll need JavaScript enabled for it to work*
    • Connecting 2 XP PCs via Crossover Cable
      Experts-Exchange IMO is an oustanding 'solution' oriented site, membership required if you want full access.
      You'll have limited search on some titles, scroll past the adds on this one to follow some considerations.

Final thought.......

have you used the IPConfig tool to find out the IP address of the Primary PC on its network card that is doing the sharing? Check on the secondary PC to verify that the Primary PC's address is listed as the DHCP server.
    Don't hold me to this one, just a thought.

If anything pans out, we'd like to hear about it.

Best of Luck,
    GF

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.