Shame on You ESET -- grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by hawki, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

WARNING TO VISTA 64X USERS:

USE THE NEW SMART SECURITY RELEASE CANDIDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK

THE BUG THAT CAN PREVENT YOUR PC FROM ACCESSING THE INTERNET THAT WAS PRESENT IN THE BETA HAS NOT BEEN FIXED.

I had tried the beta version of V4 with the disastrous result of not being able to access the internet and having to reinstall windows to re-establish my network and internet connection. I posted in this forum about this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1371869#post1371869

Several other unfortunate beta users reported similar problems. This was a serious and well-known issue with the beta version. I foolishly assumed that with the Release Candidate's supposed increased level of finality that this basic and fundamental bug would have been addressed. Well I assumed wrong. I had the exact same problem as I did with the beta. My network and internet connection were destroyed. Just as with my last experience this problem could not be repaired with a rollback with system restore and/or a re-installation of my modem and lan drivers.

Over the past several months I have installed and tried-out many av and security programs including Kaspersky, Vipre, Avira, Bit Defender, Norton, and Panda. I never had any problems with any of these. Only with ESET.

I have several months to go on my Smart Security license and I will not use it. I will never trust ESET again and will never again risk my PC by installing ESET Smart Security.

nuf said

delete this post/ban me for speaking my mind and trying to prevent others from suffering the experience I have had with the Release Candidade that is Unfit for Release. -- I don't care --

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Reading this post reminds me of my childhood days where getting attention was more important that fixing the problem (big long title, caps, etc).

Why don't you actually try help solve the problem? By looking at that thread I see two things:

1. You are a small minority of people, leading me to believe it is probably hardware/software related.

2. No useful information was posted that could fix the problem, should the ESET developers just make a wish upon the fairies?

Anyway, pretty unlucky on your bad experience. I've had problems with Thunderbird too, but I've made a detailed report showing settings and problems.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I am sorry to see the original poster having issues with this, but I am running Vista x64 with 8GB of RAM and I am having no issues whatsoever. This RC version makes me happy I renewed for another year. If this is breaking your internet, it has to be a system specific issue. As with installing any product, you should have a recent system backup before installing, and if you have issues you have something to roll back to. I would suspect it is conflicting with some other software as I have tested on several machines without any problems.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I did not see a detailed description of your operating environment. Can you please point me to the message containing it, or if you did not provide one, enter it in your reply to this message?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have spent the past day and today attempting to reproduce your problem without success.

For testing, I used both my primary notebook computer (Lenovo ThinkPad T61p, Intel T8700 @ 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia FX 570M, Intel 82566MM GbE and 4965AGN NICs, 500GB SATA HDD) and my primary desktop computer (Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel i7 920 @ 2.55GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia 9800GT SC, Marvell 88E8056 GbE NICs, 1TB SATA HDD). Both computers running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 with Service Pack 1. The desktop is current with respect to all BIOS, operating system and device driver updates as of February 19, 2009. The notebook, February 9, 2009. These are my actual personal home computers and not test systems in a QA lab so they configured to my preferences with assorted registry tweaks, non-default options, third-party application software and so forth.

No loss of connectivity was observed at any time during various network and Internet activities, including file copying between the systems, uploading and downloading files using ftp/sftp, running web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Firefox, running various instant messaging and VoIP applications, and accessing a variety of web sites such as ATI, ESET's own web site, Google, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, nVidia, Twitter, Yahoo, YouTube and so forth. The Wi-Fi adapter on the notebook was used with both 802.11g and 802.11n WLANs and the Ethernet adatper was used with a cable modem and business (fractional DS-3) network connection. The desktop was used with a cable modem network connection.

Unfortunately, with the limited information available there is no way for ESET to diagnose or reproduce your problem. If you can provide additional details about the problem it can be investigated further.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. kennethtb

kennethtb Registered Member

Hi Why all this confusion to a particular problem? :blink: surely eset moderators/advanced and experienced members could immediately request an "attachment" to obtain more details thus avoiding getting into such a guessing game often without a clear result. (similar to the Kaspersky forum with getsysteminfo)
    Eset already has its own system inspector which would show in detail any problem areas on a particular members computer and answers could therefore be more helpful and positive. regards :)

7. paliometoxo

paliometoxo Registered Member

thats why i never install beta products :D

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Useful comment is useful...

Thanks for bumping down proper threads.

9. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yes good point. If you dont want to have buggy software (or at least minimize the risk), dont install pre-release software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.