ShadowProtect and e-sata drives

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by axial, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

ShadowProtect Desktop 3.2 backed up to an external Seagate e-sata drive perfectly; the backups can be mounted and verified, viewed, etc.

However, in the Recovery Environment the e-sata drive isn't visible in either the Recommended or Legacy boots. Is this just a matter of loading the correct driver, or is there some other restriction on recovering from e-sata? The manual doesn't mention e-sata at all.

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will provide a comprehensive and definitive response but I believe it's a driver issue which can be resolved by using the "Load Drivers" option in the Recovery Environment.

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

If you are in IDE mode,the eSATA drive MUST be turned on BEFORE booting up,to be visible.
    Can be turned off anytime

Only if in AHCI or RAID mode,can the eSATA drive be turned ON anytime.

Its called Hot swapping and hot plugging.

The AHCI driver does have to be installed to take advantage of it and this isnt easy to do after installation of the OS.

The F6 Load Drivers function will load the driver but it probably isnt worthwhile,

4. axial

axial Registered Member

Thank you both for your reply. I cold-booted into the R.E. with the Seagate external already on and it did appear in the list of drives this time.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

With SPv2, I have to turn on my Seagate External HDD first, before I boot in the recovery environment, otherwise I won't see my HDD to do a backup or restore.
    I also have to choose the first option, because the second option doesn't work for me, but they have other names than in SPv3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.