Shadow protect throughput 0.80 MB/s

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Banshee, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Last night I was backing up my C: drive (50% full) and noticed sp3 got really slow. Throughput would drop to 0,60-80 mb/s and go back up to 10 and then back down.Needless to say I was not able to complete my backup.

I'm trying to back up my c: drive again but I am experiencing the same problem. It slowed down to a crawl.

How do I speed it up again ?

Thanks

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

this is realy a question to drop at StorageCraft,did you from the recovery CD or from within Windows,i will disable all security and look how it goes.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Any new software? Any anti-virus?
    More info, por favor.
    Mrk

4. Banshee

I will post on the forums over there thanks.Yes I had av+fw+ssm pro+ on while I was backing up.I always did and never a had a problem.Till now that is.

I also rebooted and tried backing up from the recovery cd.It started slowly and after one hour+ backing up it completed with a few errors.So no go:blink:

5. Banshee

Yes,av+fw+ssm pro.

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    All these NEW?
    What software do you use please... I cannot help if you don't provide info... Some anti-virus programs may cause problems.
    Mrk

7. Banshee

Hello,

Sorry, no.not new. I had them installed for a long time now-Never had a problem with them till yesterday.

OK. software.

I have diff 3 snapshots.Each with a diff suite or antivirus

ss1 Kis7,FirstDefense,SSM pro.
    ss2 Fisis-2008, FirstDefense, SSM pro
    Ss3 (test-for-fun ) Drweb4.4 beta, kerio 2.15, ssm pro, First defense

Problems only when using SS3.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Try disabling one by one, see what which one is the culprit.
    Try with AV first, then SSM.
    Mrk

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You didn't say what you are backing up to. That could have a big impact if something hardware problem has come up.

I've found on my AMD machine I have two Western Digital USB drives. Essentially the same drives, except the newer one is a bit bigger. I've discovered the newer one works had half the speed of the older one. It's the drive as I've switched usb ports etc.

Don't just assume software.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would use an external harddisk for backup, instead of CD's with a writing speed of 1-4.

11. Banshee

Erik,

I do not use dvds. I backup my images to another partition and also to an external drive. I am not sure what happened and why sp3 is playing up now.

@Peter, I was backing up my c:\ (OS)

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I guess SSM is the culprit because after instal this app. the problem appears.Try disabling one by one to see,but i think its SSM.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If it is try putting SSM in learning mode and see if it picks up what is going on.

14. Banshee

Huupi,

I have disabled ssm and started imaging from scratch, again. I don't think it is it though.Sp3 always worked fine with all security programs running.

Let's see what happens.

My c:\ is 122 gig big and 48% full.

B.

P.S. I started again from scratch but sp3 is way slow again:thumbd:

15. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

During an actual backup sbrun.exe is streaming data form the source to the destination, and optionally compressing and encrypting the data before writing it to the destination. The operation's speed is closely tied to your hardware's speed. However, if you have flaky/faulty hardware, or if you have software which participates in the storage stack (and network stack if you're writing to a network share) then I/O operations can be delayed, interrupted, and failed. You're going to have to do the process-of-elimination game, and remove software components until you determine the software which is causing the slowdown. If you are unable to determine if it is software, then it can easily be hardware.

If you're feeling brave, run DeviceTree from OSROnline.com and expand the entire trees under \Driver\FTDisk and \Driver\Disk. This will give you a view of the drivers which are filtering I/O in your storage stack. You can then right-click on the driver's .sys file to determine the maker, which will help you to determine which software products are involved with the storage stack. When shadowProtect is installed you should find stcvsm.sys filtering at both the file system and volume level in the stack. Also expand the tree under \FileSystem\MRxSmb to see which drivers are filtering the network storage stack.

Beware of DeviceTree. It sometimes will BSOD your machine. Particularly if you switch to the non-default "P" (PnP) view mode.

Another thing to do that will quickly determine if the slow-down is caused by other software is to perform a backup from within the booted recovery environment (boot the CD). This way you're backing up with no other software other than ShadowProtect involved. If you still experience odd performance issues then this is likely flaky hardware.

16. Banshee

I tried the process-of-elimination by disabling ssm first.No joy.Before uninstalling drweb 4.44 beta and the lego loco game I installed the previous day for the kids I tried backing up from the recovery cd. Backup failed !

So I booted to my secondary snapshot and tried backing up from there.

All ok again. Maybe my test-for-fun snapshot(fsdir) was corrupted ?

Anyway I fixed my test-for-fun snapshot by doing copy/update.

Thanks

17. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

When the backup fails from the recovery CD it would be very helpful for you to post the detail log so that we can see why it failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.