Shadow Defender 's vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by RootAccess, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

From a Prevx web page, modern malware can defeat virtualization programs by directly writing directly to the atapi.sys kernel module. I was wondering if Shadow Defender has this same limitation.

Also, there are malware that spread through USB drives. Returnil, a competing product, just forbids anyone from accessing the flash drive. However, this solution is terrible. What are Shadow Defender's defenses from these malware?

Thanks!

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I can access flash drives with Returnil. o_O

3. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

Have you tried doing it with virtual mode on?

4. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

I use shadowdefender alot, but I dont recommend that you use it on its own however. If it was actively supported i wouldnt say that.

The deal is, trying to run a machine securely with admin and driver installing priviledges enabled is an oxymoron. You can't do it. fullstop.

Thats how things like tdss was able to bypass other virtualizers in Buster's tests. Thats how the rootkit driver was able to write to a low level the atapi.sys kernel module. But when it was run under a user account the rootkit failed since it cant install.

Bottom line here, use a HIPS or Sandboxie when running under a LV just incase.

5. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

yes... :D:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.