Shadow Defender and Movie Folder

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by the mul, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Hi,

I am going to be trying out shadow defender and I know you have to come out of shadow mode if you are doing any updates, but I wondered if you are downloading movies to a movie folder, do you just add my movies to shadow defenders exclusion list and then when you reboot, all movies will still be in the movies folder and everything else will have been removed.

Can you also tell me is there any other critical windows items or folders you would also add to the exclusions list as well?

Thank you for any help.

2. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Honestly. The only thing I really add to my exclusion list are my Antivirus folders so they can do updates and my download folder so I can download stuff. Other than that if I have to do windows updates I just exit Shadow Mode.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't use exclusions for this, but you can also use the commit function by right clicking the file.

4. the mul

Hi Peter,

If I was in shadow mode and download a movie to my movies folder, would I have to wait for the movie to be fully downloaded first, before I right click and commit the folder in real time or can I commit the folder at any stage of the download?

I also wondered, would it be better just updating all my security programmes once I was out of shadow mode, rather than add all my security folders to the exclusions list?

Thanks for your help and advise.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I made exclusions for things of that nature. I like SD, but really wish there was a commit that worked per new application, that committed both files made anywhere as well as registry items. But since there is not, I myself open directories like you are speaking of to exclusions. This way it is as 'normal' when downloading objects, but the file system is still returned to normal on next reboot.

Sul.

6. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I run ShadowMode 99% of the time and I exclude the folders needed for my Avira to update.
    A file or two of text documents that are always changing,and that I am afraid I may forget to right click commit,and just as you said,my movie and music folders.

However,I do not download them to the excluded folder.

I download them first to "desktop downloads" that is protected,
    scan the files with Avira,and then, move them into the excluded Movie/Music folder by drag&drop.

A large movie file,committed by right click,can take awhile.

The drag&drop method is faster.
    And downloading the files to the Shadowed folder for scanning seems safer.

thanks, rat

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
  7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

@the mul,

When I add my movies to shadow defenders exclusion list and then when you reboot, all movies will still be in the movies folder and everything else will have been removed. (Answer : Yes)

If I was in shadow mode and download a movie to my movies folder, would I have to wait for the movie to be fully downloaded first, before I right click and commit the folder in real time or can I commit the folder at any stage of the download? (Answer: Wait for download to complete before commit the download)

I also wondered, would it be better just updating all my security programmes once I was out of shadow mode, rather than add all my security folders to the exclusions list? (Answer: Yes, but it depends on your security programmes and you)

Can you also tell me is there any other critical windows items or folders you would also add to the exclusions list as well? (Answer: Depends on you, eg. are IE Favorities, bookmarks, cookies, browser prefs, etc.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi mul

I think you got good answers here. Hope you are good to go.

Pete

9. the mul

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to thank you all so far for all your help.

10. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Hi ratwing. I understand your method here, but like your text files that you exclude, arn't you in danger of forgetting to Drag n Drop your "desktop downloads" to your excluded folder, and rebooting, thereby losing them?
    Maybe I have missed something.

I myself,download to an excluded "desktop downloads" folder, and then scan them. This way, I know that I will not lose them by an accidental reboot, but at the same time, they can not do any damage unless they are run.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have a silly question I guess. If you are in Shadow Mode, and download to this special folder, why do you worry about running whatever is in this folder? If it is a nasty of some kind, can't you simply reboot and other than your excluded directories, all nasties are now gone? Yes? or No?

Sul.

12. kennyboy

Hi Sully. Not a silly question at all. In fact if you have 100% confidence in SD which I ALMOST have, then of course you are right, and nothing bad can happen to the system.

13. ratwing

ratwing Guest

14. kennyboy

Hi ratwing.

Yes, I think that like a lot of things, one needs to develop a system (or habit) when using SD,and then it becomes such an invaluable program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.