SG-Menu - a small menu tool with SAFER built in

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Sully, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I made a small, simplistic tray menu a few years ago, that uses an INI file to structure it. I use this all the time because it is the only menu that I know of that will leave the tray and come to your mouse. I use a hotkey (user defined) for this. By pressing Ctrl + Alt + (my defined hotkey) my menu comes to my mouse. I just could not stand having to mouse down or up to a corner to do something. It seemed very counter-productive when most of my time is spent with one or two hands on the keyboard.

Anyway, since I have switched to Windows 7, I have been investing a lot of time into tweaking it. Performance and security some, but a lot of time has gone into dealing with the very illogical methods M$ now makes me go through to change a setting. What used to take 1 or 2 mouse clicks is nearly doubled -- or more. In my quest to traverse the guts of the OS more efficiently I have made lots of context menu items. This works great for all the system settings you need to change, and for programs as well.

Now that I have most of that done, I have turned my attention to the quick launch (or lack there-of) and the taskbar toolbars. In 2k/XP, you could load directories into your quick launch folder, and it was an easy way to house many of your common shortcuts (my desktop is my sandbox, so I keep it clear of regular items). But in Win 7, a taskbar toolbar does not really play well. Rather than just show an icon, it wants to show the text as well.

Anyway, regardless of whether the toolbars can be made to cooperate or not in Win 7, I decide to update my menu program to work with Win 7. Along the way, I got to wondering, why not just create another hotkey and use that to toggle the menu between a normal mode and a SAFER mode (think Drop My Rights here). So that is what I did.

When my menu is running, pressing Ctrl + Alt + X (for me) brings the menu to my mouse, and everything in it runs as Admin (because I am Admin). When I press Ctrl + Alt + S (for me) it brings up the same menu, to my mouse, but it now is in SAFER mode. So anything that I start from the menu will "try" to start up as a User instead of Admin.

m_oview.jpg m_saf_oview.jpg

Yes, this will not be for everyone, and indeed maybe not for anyone. But how cool is it that you can bring a tray menu right to your mouse? lol.

Here are two documents with some screenshots I put together (quickly).
    http://mrwoojoo.com/sg/ini_syntax.rtf
    http://mrwoojoo.com/sg/man-v4.rtf

And no, lol, I have not invested any time into html, so my site is still about as basic as it gets.

Maybe someone else can use it, I sure do.

Sul.

2. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

sounds good to me, I like your thinking...

and thanks for PGS

3. Jav

Jav Guest

So, in this case I think you have UAC disabled?

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes indeed. UAC is one of the first things that went. I gave up hips and firewalls that throw too many prompts, and now the OS wants to do it too. Not for me at all.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.