Setup for fresh Windows 8 Pro install

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Archs, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archs

Archs Registered Member

Hello. I'm planning to format my laptop's hard drive and install Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I just have a couple questions regarding the optimal set up for installation.

1. First, I was planning on using DBAN to erase the hard drive. Will that erase everything including the MBR?
    2. After, I usually use Sandboxie, but Windows 8 is not fully compatible with it. As an alternative I was considering going with the Comodo Internet Suite with the built-in sandbox. If I manually set up Comodo to run my web browser in a sandbox, does it offer the same level of protection as Sandboxie?
    Also, would that allow me to download a exe and run it in a virtual environment and still be secure?
    3. Does anyone have a recommendation for a password manager. I was considering LastPass, but I don't like the idea of having it back up everything online. I prefer to keep everything local and manually create a backup. I don't think there is a way to do this on LastPass, unless they changed it recently.
    4. I wanted to encrypt my entire hard drive because I will be bringing this laptop around to a lot of places. Windows 8 Pro comes with Bitlocker. Is that a good choice or should I use full disk encryption with TrueCrypt or another program.
    5. I was debating which web browser I should go with. Google Chrome has a sandbox built in, so if I use Comodo's sandbox, it would be a sandbox-in-a-sandbox. Is that option a lot more secure than simply running Firefox in a sandbox.
    6. Is it possible with the Comodo Sandbox to install Flash into its own sandbox with Firefox? I'd prefer not to have Flash on my main system.
    7. As for a VPN, does anyone have an experience with Mullvad? I want to use it when I'm on public wifi networks.
    8. Does anyone have a list of programs to intall or can point me to a thead that lists them?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.