Setting Up a Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CWBillow, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWBillow

CWBillow Registered Member

I just replaced my 2 hard drives.

In doing so, I allocated space for a Recovery partition, and assigned it a letter -- F -- by for4matting it...

Now, when I go to set up the Recovery partition, it apparently wants to set up it's own partition.

How can I let it do this without disturbing the lettering of the various drives?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Do you mean a SecureZone?

3. CWBillow

CWBillow Registered Member

John:

No, the "SecureZone" was the next step...

It's the "Startup Recovery Manager".

Chuck

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This is personal preference, but I never use the Recovery Manager or a SecureZone.

The Recovery Manager has to modify the MBR to insert the code to show the Press F11 message on booting. I don't like having a non-standard MBR on my systems. I prefer to boot from the Recovery CD instead of using the Recovery Manger. Since it won't be available if the drive actually fails, I'd rather be ready with the Recovery CD.

I don't use a Secure Zone because you cannot copy backups from the SZ to a different drive or burn them to a DVD.

Instead, I use a separate partition, as you have set up, or a second hard drive (internal or external). Quite a few of the people on this forum have chosen not to use the Recovery Manager.

Enough of my opinions.

The Recovery Manager is installed after the Secure Zone, so I beleve you are being asked to create a SZ which will allow the Recovery Manager to install. If you still want to use the Recovery Manager, you can create just a minimal SZ and then save images on your backup partition. The SZ is a hidden partition which doesn't get a drive letter and won't change your drive allocations.

Of course, you should also save backups on a different drive or burn them to DVDs since if your hard drive fails, the backups on a different partition of the same drive will be gone also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.