Service pack 2! Are you having problem's with it?

Discussion in 'polls' started by NICK ADSL UK, Aug 28, 2004.

?

Have you had any problem's installing service pack 2?

1. YES

19 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. NO

97 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. I'M NOT SURE

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Not for me. Just one big OK button to abort install. :'(

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well it has been a little while sinceI installed sp2 and so far it is working just fine.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I have seen it suggested that sometimes it is better to copy the CD files to your HD by creating a folder such as C:\XPSP2 and running the patch from there. :)

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Thanks, Pilli. I'll remember that when my CD arrives. :D

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried a download from here (for IT Professionals)?

Cheers :D

6. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Same Here so I used system restore and managed to get back to SP1. Also I tried to shut off BoClean before installing it but Bo clean still gave me several dozen warnings. Back to the drawing board.

7. bigc73542

This is the one I installed. Have had no problems with it. Just be sure to shut down regprot,processguard or any other programs like that before install.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Try installing SP2 in Safe Mode. Regarding BOClean, I got no alerts when installing SP2 on two different systems. If you have added system files in BOClean's "Program Excluder", you will be alerted when they change. I would remove them and add them back after installing SP2.

Nick

9. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Now D&C...I thought you was spooked and not going to install SP2 one moment then the next I hear is you're now fearless and goin' fer it! :p :)

Not me...not sure what it will render PG useless until the update. Please be sure and let us know on how SP2 treats you? Thanks.

10. Faith

Faith Registered Member

Yes minor problems with CSV downloads on my XP home SP2 box. Some will automatically open Excel 2000 and others will do the normal save or open box. o_O
    I do (at first blush) like the security features.

11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Nonsense.

12. Blackspear

ROFLMAO, always nice to see your point of view Mr Blaze :D

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Had SP2 (Dutch) in my download folder since september 6.

I just ran SP2 install after making an Image of C.
    Before I stopped Ewido, Spy Sweeper, SafeXP and snooze my AV.

Then SP2 starts his job which was finished after 16 minutes.
    System restarts then and thats it.
    No messages or warnings at all (firewall, av etc.)
    Only my wireless icon in the systray changed :D
    The only thing I expect is my AV auto-update function not working, but I can change that.
    So it seems I am a happy camper.

Gerard

14. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I was mildly surprised that I've had no problems at all with the new firewall in its default setup, even for things like auto-updates or incoming mail.

We know that it doesn't protect against outgoing data, so I guess anything incoming that's initiated from your end, like a check for updates or for mail, is considered ok.

15. Blackspear

I had a go at the local Microsoft Rep when he came into one of my shops last week, about the firewall not having outgoing protection and that it was slightly better than nothing at all, though only slightly. I ended up seeing Microsoft’s point of view, that being for the great majority of users out there who have never heard of a firewall, let alone know what one does, they will now have one to at least partially protect them from themselves…

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I don't really fault MS for not making a full-featured firewall, if they did I'm sure there would be plenty of lawsuits to follow. It does, at least, block outgoing connections for things that act as servers. So an unknowledgable user at least has decent *minimal* protection against common trojans/worms and incoming attacks.

17. Blackspear

Agreed :D

18. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Not one ruffled feather. It improved WG by correcting the "Help and Support" link to working state. Made sure I exited programs that were running before install. I removed PG 2 before I installed and plan to install the new version 3. The Security Center is easy to adjust if you need to.

19. Hi,

Here is an interesting approach at Tom'sHardware.

"Installing or reinstalling WindowsXP typically requires the additional task of installing Service Pack 2 separately. After installing WindowsXP, users must then go through the tedious process of installing Service Pack 2 updates and drivers. However, Microsoft offers an alternative. Using a process called slipstreaming, users can burn CDs that combine a WindowsXP installation CD and Service Pack 2. This makes the whole Windows installation run considerably faster

Administrators in larger companies can especially benefit from this method. But even private users can make their lives easier, especially if they have to reinstall their systems more frequently because of extensive hardware changes (modders, for example)...."

Have not tried it, nor have I installed SP2. CD on the way.

There is a link for a free program to extract the boot loader. Article can be found here:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040908/index.html

I searched MS and I believe this article applies (slipstreaming is mentioned):
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/techguide/mso/bdd/bddsp2.mspx

Cheers to all,
    Tony

20. Sorry about the truncation. I'll try the link in two parts, you can join them:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/

itsolutions/techguide/mso/bdd/bddsp2.mspx

There, now, we all feel much better.
    Tony

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

No problems to report as of yet, but I did a complete format/reinstall of XP before installing it... Even SP2 RC2 worked well for me.

22. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

No Major probs...just three small annoyances.....my OS takes 40/45 seconds to shut-down...used to take 4/5 seconds......My 3d Space Cadet Pinball game became impossible to play, had to delete it........and that damn annoying bubble telling me to allow M$ to auto-load anything it likes........any suggested cures for these three 'illnesses' would be greatly appreciated...Thanks... :-*

Cochise, :cool:

23. bigc73542

go to the security center and uncheck the auto update notification box see screen shot this ought to stop your annoying popup.

bigc

Attached Files:

24. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Guess it's just one more case of each system is unique -- that Pinball still works just fine on mine. o_O

25. bigc73542

Well I had sp2 working perfectly and a d##n linux os screwed up the boot sector of my comp and there was no way to get it to boot, that puppy was gone along with windows. To make a really long story short I had to reformat and reinstall windows and sp2 five times in a row to finally get windows and sp2 to get along. Thank goodness for backup cd's. I will admit after eighteen hours formating and installing My computer has never ran this fast or smooth before. I am going to be real careful now and you won't see anymore of that pain in the a## linux on my comp again. Linux is alright when it decides to be nice but when it screws up it doesn't mess around. But at least I should be considered an expert on installing sp2 now :D ;) It even recognizes my antivirus and firewall in the security center and gives them a green light. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.