Server Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I just got done uninstalling Kaspersky AV on our server. It was a nightmare.

Looking for a light weight, free alternative for Windows Server 2003 R2 in a product environment. Just needs to be a simple AV.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Are you running a Windows server? Why?

3. whitedragon551

Its at work. KAV brought it to its knees on a quad core Xeon server. I need something on there.

Now I do get MS Forefront through MSDNAA from college. I thought about maybe installing that and pushing it out to all users.

4. noons

noons Registered Member

If your running an AV on a server (other then an enduser file server) your doing it wrong...

5. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Free alternative for a windows server? I don't think there are any available (officially supported). Why not try Emsisoft Anti-malware for server?;)

6. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

I would suggest you IKARUS... on several servers works without errors....
    ikarus virus.utilities has a single installer for servers and workstations.no special installation for servers
    Iikarus security manager (ISM) in one and antivirus.installed on the server and also have anti-virus for server

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

figured i'd bring this up just in case: -hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158- not excluding relevant paths can cause significant performance issues, depending on the role of the server.

at any rate, MSE works if the server's in an environment w/fewer than 10 machines/whatever EULA requirements exist and you exclude the necessary locations per MS guidelines. outpost AV works alright too, with the same caveat.

WRT forefront - it's important to adhere to licensing terms w/technet and msdn subscriptions, especially when businesses are involved.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Vipre is cost effective and runs on servers. There really isn't much for free. :(

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

For free, I would say just use MSE. Strange I used to run Kaspersky on a few of my old 2003 servers without any issues. What was it doing to your server?

10. xxJackxx

MSE does not install on Servers unless something has changed since I last looked into it.

11. Trooper

I had it installed (albeit temporarily) on an 03 server last summer. Maybe updates since that time have have negated it but I had it up and running for a few months. :ninja:

12. whitedragon551

Causing a service hang and crawling everything to a crawl. You couldnt click the start menu without 5-10 minutes of hesitation between you clicking it and it actually appearing. Uninstalled it and everything is fine.

13. whitedragon551

Installed it today and it was fine.

14. xxJackxx

Interesting. I wonder when that started... and if it works on 2008 and 2008r2. :ninja:

-Answered my own question. It appears it works on all of them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

That one is kinda new, i'm pretty sure that if you do so, Emsisoft will give you full support since there is not enough feedback for the enterprise products hahaha :D

16. xxJackxx

I've seen that before but it has been a loong time. It used to conflict with the service for IIS. I don't remember being able to find a workaround for it.

17. Trooper

Yeah I never had an issue with it Jack. Maybe you're thinking of another AV?

As for Kaspersky on 2003, I never ran into any issues but was not running IIS on the servers in question. Damn, I really hate IIS. :doubt:

18. xxJackxx

Nope, if you look around on the internet you can find evidence that MSE was client only and not meant for server installations, and in the early days refused to install at all on a server. It's probably more than a couple of years ago that I tried. I was under the impression that servers required a Forefront installation.That has obviously changed at some point, not sure when.

Unfortunately I see that now after you run a scan with it they open a browser window advertising Bing. :(

19. Vilmalith

Vilmalith Registered Member

64bit MSE won't install for me on WHS 2011, gives me an os not supported message....

20. whitedragon551

That may have been the issue. IIS is installed. Not sure why as they dont have any intranet pages that are available.

21. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Off topic replies removed. The thread starter has a very specific focus - a server side anti-virus product for a production server running Windows Server 2003 R2. Let's keep to that specific target. Thanks.

22. Trooper

Perhaps that was the issue. The server I was running it on was not running IIS. It was only 32bit version of server 2003 by the way.

23. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

:mad: :mad:
    What if i would have said i am just done installing ESS 5 BE on WIN SERVER 2003. Going to see how it performs for few days. :p :p

24. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Does MSE even install on a Win 2003 server? It didn't the last time I checked, which was about 4 months ago. I do have IIS installed and runnning on the server. I was using an old version of Avira on it, I think it might have been version 8. I was getting warning messages to upgrade to the newer version. When I did it wouldn't work anymore. MSE does work on Win 2008 servers.

Ice

25. xxJackxx

That's what I had thought but it does install now. I did it for a test last week and it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.