Senior's Guilde To Computers

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hogndog, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Several times I've read posts where a member has a senior in the home and doesn't quite know how to approach them when it comes to their computer, well, today i found this article that may be of some use.. :)

http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com/security2.asp

Thanks..
    Hogndog

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That site has been around since 2009. Do you use MSE? If so, do you like it, and is it a reliable AV? Do you think it's good for Seniors because they typically can't figure out how to run Avast Free etc? :)

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I notice it says that the windows firewall should be run alongside a broadband router.
    Im running windows firewall but i dont use a router and i connect with a usb mobile broadband dongle.
    Is this ok.?

4. hogndog

In my opinion its an excellent security measure, on two separate occasions it stopped Java exploits in their tracks.. Over the years I've used just about every security application on the Internet and I'd have to say MSE is the easiest to use for both young and old alike.. Presently I'm using Outpost Security Suite 8.0 because it was offered as a giveaway..

5. hogndog

I'd say yes it probably should be, but if your present set up is working for you, and you haven't been infected your probably good to go. Today's newer Windows firewall is pretty formidable, built better than my ole XP.. More than likely you are probably going to get some other members to weigh in on this.. ;)

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm using Outpost Firewall, not the Windows firewall. Is that a problem for MSE?

7. hogndog

It wasn't a problem for me, but i run a light set up, Outpost firewall + MSE play nice together.. I used Malwarebytes for an on demand scanner, and Win Patrol for HIPS.. ;)

Sorry for taking so long to reply I threw Linux on my machine and have been tuning it up..

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.