Send Malware files to support@ewido.net

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Okanagan, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okanagan

Okanagan Registered Member

please choose to restore these quarantined files, update the AVG software and
    scan again these files. If these files will be detected, do NOT move them to
    the quarantine or delete them, just send us copies of these files in a
    password protected zip archive. Password: infected

I received this email from ewido support, my question is:how do I go about
    this? Please explain this in plain English, I'm am new to this procedure, and
    I never done this before.
    Thank you.

2. btman

btman Registered Member

Ok. Do you have winzip? Or something? Anyway....Open AVG Anti-spyware 7.5 and go to infections, under quarantine there should be files. Click them and hit restore, update avg anti-spyware 7.5 and rescan the files (find out where they are in your computer) , or just scan the computer again... if they are still detected...find the files again... right click them and somewhere there should be a win zip option or something then click Add To Zip File.... save the zip file somewhere and make the password "infected". Send it to the team ewido team.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Or, to put it another way, ewido obviously think the files might be a false positive which has been corrected by new signatures.

You only need to submit the files if AVG-AS continues to 'find' them. In which case you will need to send them in a password protected archive. Unfortunately, although the windows zip file facility will enable you to unzip a password protected file, I don't think it enables you to create one. So if this became necessary, you would need to D/L a trial version of WinZip or WinRar to do the job.

Or else you could try a free alternative, such as ZipGenius or 7-Zip:-

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/index.php

http://www.7-zip.org/

I presume both these enable you to create password protected files?

The reason for the password protected file is to enable the email attachment, containing an infected file, to pass through AV scanners without being gobbled up the other end!

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, both ZipGenius and 7zip allow the user to create password-protected archives. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.