Security Vendors and Download.com (CNET)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I've noticed a decent amount of security vendors redirect people to cnet.com to download their software, including Avast!, AVG, COMODO.

Cnet unfortunately displays a big green download button, that is bundled with adware and other garbage, with the clean direct link underneath that button, but less visible than the big green button.

I am not affected by the big green adware button as I have Adblock PLUS, so could someone tell me if these vendors link to the adware button, or do they direct to a clean download link?

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I don't think the vendors specifically link to the adware button,given that the "clean" link is on the same page.

Having said that I feel that those vendors should avoid CNET and stick to the likes of Filehippo and Majorgeeks that don't feel the need to foist unwanted rubbish onto their users.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed, especially for security vendors.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Shame on cnet. They are behaving like a devil without any shame at all. I wish they get punished by users for their behavior. We should tell everyone to boycott cnet. The people who are active on security software vendors forums should pressurize the vendors not to use cnet at all.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very true and good idea:thumb: we have to spread the word:thumb:

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! I agree completely with everyone's stand regarding downloads from Cnet...it seems along with bundling Toolbar's and other add on's to Products...these underhanded and devious Marketing Campaigns must Cease Immediately. Now whether actions are implemented by the various vendors is another issue. My gut feeling is anytime monies are involved...the Customer is a Secondary Factor in the equation. Solution...simply don't ever purchase product from the vendor! Unless they change their mercenary ways! in knowing it's Customer First and Foremost. Sincerely...Securon

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

well said Doctor Securon:thumb: :thumb:

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried a download from them few weeks back and even i was careful enough to opt out from bundled software but still they installed some crap on my system.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here but emsisoft detect it:) and winpatrol plus bark like a strong bulldog

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

its not just CNET that should hang its head in shame...its also the security vendors involved in linking to this garbage site..:argh:

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I agree wholeheartedly with all the posts above.

There's simply no excuse for what is turned into a netwide epidemic of download services turning more to that lame practice and it immediately reflects right back on both the software distributors as well as the download services.

I dunno about anyone else but personally I'm growing sick of all the freakin' redirect crap with lame a$$ advertising. IE: "Click here to check your PC for issues" or this and that right under your download links.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  12. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Amen Easter...Amen! Sincerely...Securon

13. itman

itman Registered Member

I have written multiple posts in this forum about the download wrappers that CNET uses.

Again here is the link to an excellent article written by Emsisoft some time ago on what download wrappers are and how to identify them: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec120224/.

As this article advises and also many others on the subject if a download site uses download wrappers, find another site that doesn't to do your downloads from.

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yeah, personalty I try to stay away from CNET and a few other questionable download sites as there are better alternatives to get the software one wants without having to deal with all the included extras. Trust is essential, even more so with security software, so those partnering with these sites that include the unwanted crap should rethink their marketing strategies and do whatever is necessary to ensure to their customers and potential customers that they are #1 on the priority list, as it should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.