Security Setup for new laptop

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pain of Salvation, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I bought a new laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1545, with McAfee Security Center 10 for free for 15 months.

I also have a license of Prevx 3.0.

What do you think about McAfee Security Center 10? Is this the same as McAfee Internet Security 2009? Should I stick with it or should I buy another security solution, like Norton Internet Security 2009 or Eset Smart Security?

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would use Google and read a few professional reviews. That will give you some detailed and objective information. Also, if you can preserve the McAfee subscription (so you can re-install if you decide to keep it) you have the option to try any other product that's available as "trial-ware", such as NIS 2009. That's a lot better then getting opinions (which is frowned upon here anyway).

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with Victek.
    Google search is a good source for tests and reviews.
    You have a lot of choices including some good free programs.

4. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I already tested Norton Internet Security 2009 and liked it a lot. It´s very light on system resources, and has a very good detection rate.

In the latest av-comparatives on-demand test, McAfee had the best detection/false positives balance. But is it light on system resources like Norton 2009?

I´m considering buying NIS2009, but I don´t want to spend money if I already have a similar/better security suite for free installed on the system.

Does anyone in this forum use McAfee 2009? Is it light on system? Some reviews I read say it's light, others say it's heavy...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Hi,

I have a Dell M1530 and used the McAfee as well, but while it works well I thought it was way too heavy in resources. I switched it to Vipre.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did it not come pre-installed on your system? Since you already have a license why not run it for a while and see what it's like? There's no simple answer your question because security software can behave differently on different systems.

7. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

The new Norton really kicks ass! It's extremely light and works smoothly along with PrevX. I've tried Mcafee Virus Scan once, but I didn't really like it: Comparatively heavy; GUI wasn't really my taste

But try it first, and decide it yourself! :rolleyes:

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have a couple of friends who use McAfee because their ISP gives it to them free. They find no objection, and it showed up well in the last on-demand test by AV Comparatives.

I would try it, and if it ran well keep it.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

You got 15 months free for a good AV, why spend money on another one?

As for ressource usage, they took the Symantec path, each year they reduce the footprint. Engine 5400 that comes out in novemenber will again have a smaller ressource usage and you'll be able to get it for free with your subs. Those 2 goliaths copy each other move all the time anyway.

So my advice is to enjoy your 15 months of free AV, they'll get you to pay soon enough anyway.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Uuhhh , McAfee ... I haven't tried this for ages (until two weeks ago) . What an intrusive software is it . Both the business and consumer products . Stay away from them .

So heavy on resourses ... The user interface is not for everyone .

Will not comment the business version but two weeks ago I changed my netbook . It came with Windows XP and the newest McAfee Security Center preinstalled . I kept it for a while - very intrusive , very slow .

My personal vote:
    If you want absolute complete protection and care free about removing temp files , back-up , etc -> Norton 360 3.0
    If you want just protection and light software -> ESET Smart Security 4.0 or Norton Internet Security 2009 (both are extremely light on resourses).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

AVIRA , Avast , AVG , Microsoft , ClamAV , etc offer even more . Not only 15 months but even 15 years - completely free.
    < I am not a fan of the free AVs - their free versions , I mean , but they are free for more than 15 months >

12. kinwolf

No firewall, let's compare apple to apple pls.

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol id rather use windows FW than mcafee, and then again their are plenty of FREE firewalls as well, combine a free Av and free FW and ther u go, apples to apples...

14. kinwolf

I knew it would take seconds for the "free" brigrade to come charging.

You prefer to use windows firewall that has no stateful packet inspection? That cannot detect worms or exploits passing through it? Fine, your choice. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying we should all buy McAfee but when you get 15 months of a good suite, why not use it instead instead of shelling money for another suite with same fonctionality and similar detection or doing 35 tests to see if free av X works well with free firewall Y.

I am sure your post helped the OP alot.

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I do not wish to go off-topic (and actually have nothing to say on-topic) but this is simply not true. Do your own testing (or at least a proper research) before posting such blatant misinformation!

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am not from the free brigade - just saying that the argument "you have it for free for 15 months" should not be a valid one . There are other free products , as well , numerous long trials , etc. It should be the product and its feautures that is important , not the fact that it is valid for 15 months.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

18. firzen771

outpost free and OA free just to name a couple... which are proven to be good FW's and Mcafee FW? nope havent heard anythin good about it yet.

19. Atomic_Ed

Actually for what it is worth to you, I used the Mcafee firewall for years in my various systems and to me in my experiences it was a decent firewall with very little problems. I actually thought it was their best part of their suite over the other components. Have you ever actually tried their firewall?

20. firzen771

yes i have, and i found it to work but it was nothing special, nothing that i wuld give money to use... and most of the free FW's out their i prefer much more.

21. Atomic_Ed

Thats interesting. I wonder if you would share what the others you mentioned had which you found more preferable? I am curious, as I never thought the Mcafee firewall was a top product in reference to firewalls but I always found it to be alot better than alot of the other pay firewalls at the time. Especially in reference to stability and leak tests.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I would keep McAfee unless it did not run well, Avast Home (free) with the Window firewall is light and if you examine the detection rate of Avast on the last AVC test you will find it is one of the tops at detection.

The only way to determine what runs best on your system is to trial the AV, and firewall combination.

Regards,
    Jerry

23. firzen771

well out of the FW's ive used, Look n Stop wuld be my #1 choice for pure FW. then when it came to HIPS + FW ones Outpost is a FW i liked, and OA. Comodo isnt really my thing and o ye cant forget PC Tools FW is one of the best FW's ive used, no hassle easy to use FW.

all of those FW have free versions which are quite capable except for Look n Stop which is paid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.