Security Screen Blank

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi William

Sounds like you are making progress. Good. Besure though to disable Process Guard, before you do backups.

Pete

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Peter I spoke too soon. It did load ,but as I said it didn't even ask for the activation code. It was messed up. The learning mode didn't work. I have been back into the safe mode trying to do it right. I managed to get it all removed. The uninstall wouldn't work because it said it was running. I found it in prefetch and removed it. Then I could remove Procguard.exe. Now I don't know if I want to try it again. I am learning a lot. But I still don't have PG

3. WilliamP

Well I tried again and I am back to the same old popup. Come on Jason be a sport and see if you can help. Wayne I wouldn't turn your help down either. I do want to thank those of you who tried to help.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  4. Peter2150

Have you uninstalled Bounceback and tried ito_O

Pete

5. WilliamP

Pete there is nothing in BounceBack running. It's not even on the task bar. Can it still effect PG?

6. Peter2150

Hi William

I don't remember if it had something running on the system. I took out the task bar stuff, but I don't remember. But it may well affect something when you reboot. Thats why I'd just uninstall it and try it. You can allways reinstall it if it doesn't solve the problem. By doing this you just eliminate one more variable. I just suggest this strongly, because very few folks are having your problem, and I know the issues I had with bounceback

Pete

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi William,

it would be good if you could just restate your problem as it exists today. Is it that ProcessGuard won't install, or won't load after you have installed it?

ProcessGuard is not active in safe-mode, so I'm not sure if you are booting into safe-mode if you still cannot delete certain parts of ProcessGuard.

To boot into safe mode, reboot your computer and keep pressing the F8 key once every second until a menu comes up. Then choose safe-mode. Once in safe mode you can use explorer to delete ProcessGuard's files. Once they are deleted you can reboot your computer so it isn't in sade mode any longer, then reinstall ProcessGuard.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

When searching for procguard.dll, can you see ANY DLL files ? You must have them hidden ! Make sure hidden/system files are showing and delete procguard.dll and bye bye problems ? :)

9. WilliamP

That all has been done . I have gone into safe mode and removed everything and it won't load but 650k of the program. Then I get the popup show in my post.15

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi William, Sounds to me as though your back up program has caused the problem.

I assume you did login as Administrator in Safe mode?

If you have system restore enabled it might be a good idea to go back to a time before you tried installing PG3.

Pilli

11. Peter2150

William, just for my understanding, you are now sure that all the Process Guard files are gone. Have you turned on view hidden and system files and looked. Also William do you remember if you did a backup after installing Process Guard 3.0 If so....

Jason is there any other file you think of that might be causing his problem.

Reason I ask is the mess Bounceback made for me was it changed some of the security settings and permissions the FD-ISR puts on their files, and their software could no longer access them, and therefore FD-ISR could be reinstalled until I removed them. I had to dig deep into the security,permission, and ownership settings to be able to delete them manually.

If this happened to some other file, then deleting Process Guard won't solve the problem, until this is corrected.

12. WilliamP

To the best of my knowledge everything is gone. The back up was done several days after I downloaded Ver 3 and of course windows was running. I don't see how the BounceBack could destroy PG. Tell me how I can make sure nothing is hidden. How do I view hidden files.XP Home Edition

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi William,
    Open desktop explorer.
    Tools - Folder options View - Go down the list Enacle Show "Hidden files & folders" and just below that disable "Hide protected oerating system files(recommended)"

This will allow you to see all the windows system files etc. except those on any hidden partitions.

HTH Pilli

14. WilliamP

Ok now how do I go about finding what I am looking for? I have opened the files like you said. Do I go into my computer ,windows or what?

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Do a search using explorer for procguard.sys, pguard.dat & pghash.dat and delete any that are found.

16. Peter2150

William to answer your question:
    (Note I am not saying it actually did, but based on my experience it could have)

Windows as an operating system locks certain files that it uses. To get around this many disk imaging programs, such older versions of Ghost, do all their work in DOS. Therefore the hard drive is essentially inert. Some of the newer drive imaging software and backup software can do there work in windows, and even backup up files that are open. Retrospect and Bounceback are two such programs. When they run, they access EVERY file on your system. The files caused me grief was essentially a copy of my complete disk, but all hidden, with very specific ownership privileges. When Bounceback backed them up it made changes to some of those privileges with disasterous results. Retrospect doesn't do that. Because it checks every file on your disk Bounceback has the potential to cause problems with anything on your system including Process Guard.

Hope this answers your question.

17. WilliamP

Did as suggested. Ran searches on everything and nothing was found.

18. WilliamP

I am very disappointed in the lack of help from the Diamond folks .I am a paying customer and I don't feel that I have gotten any support for my problem. I am also disappointed in Process Guard . I thought it was the most secure security program around. I hate to think that a backup program took it down.

19. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

William, We have bent over backwards to help you, so I find your comments a lrather unfair. - You have been asked to do things and then not done them or were not able to do them without very detailed responses.
    Your problem was or is probably to do with your back up program which you have been asked to uninstall so that we can ensure a proper uninstall of Process Guard.

You downloaded and installed Beta software which is always a risk.

Now let's get back to the problem and try again:)

Please uninstall your bounceback program so that we can do valid tests and fixes.

Thank you. Pilli

20. WilliamP

Pilli I know that you have tried to helpand I appreciate it. So has others. I am sorry that I'm not as computer literate as I should be. I had previously delt with doing things in the safe mode. I will uninstall BounceBack.

21. WilliamP

Pilli if I offended you I.m sorry because you and Pete did try to help. I removed BounceBack and did asearch to be sure that it is gone. Then I tried to download PG Beta. I got the same popup. I went into safemode and the only thing I could find in Windows was procexp.exe. Don't know what that is. It is Process Explorer. I Googled it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  22. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Procexp.exe is a part of Process Explorer I believe and is a legitimate file, interestingly it needs the install service / driver Allow in PG but is not a part of PG. If you have installed process explorer then the file ishould be OK.

What browser are you using to download Process Guard and are you using any sort of download helper?

Can you please do a screenshot of the pop up or describe exactly what it says. We can then take it from there.
    I would also like you to re-do the registry searches as described earlier in the thread now that BB has gone, as they may now show up files or settings that did not show before.

Thank you. Pilli

23. WilliamP

Pilli I found this in programs in the registry. Can I right click and delete? Or is this just where I have been searching?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  24. WilliamP

Here is a view of the whole thing.

Attached Files:

25. Peter2150

Pilli and William

Part of the problem here may be what Bounceback could have done to something besides Process Guard system wise, that may be causing the problem. Also worth noting in my case just removing Bounceback didn't fix the problem. I just removed it as I knew I couldn't run it without causing the problem.

What is so tricky here is what may have happened is permissions, privileges and ownership may have changed on some file critical to getting PG loaded, not just the file either there or not.

William if you can capture a screen shot of this popup this would be a big help.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.