Security Question Regarding Windows 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bikemanAMD, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD Registered Member

Hi All

Currently using avast 8.0.1489 with Windows 8 Pro 64bit, experiencing server packet loss in one online game, unknown if related to Avast or not? Would I be better off using built in Windows Defender.

My typical usage is
    Online Gaming--Secondlife
    Facebook, email, (Windows 8 mail app)
    looking up news
    watching music videos via youtube

No torrents or anything risky I don't think

I know Windows Defender/MSE doesn't do so well in the tests by Av-Test and Av Comparatives, so not sure on fully switching as yet

2. DX2

DX2 Guest

Have you disabled it and see if it still happens?

3. bikemanAMD

Yes I disabled Avast antivirus for 10 minutes, and packet loss still remained i'm guessing not related to Antivirus at this point and more related to at&t dsl internet issues I suppose..

Game is reporting this
    Packets Lost: 8,829/1 (0.7%)

Performance slow at times as well, support for the game says packet loss should say 0.0 percent for optimal performance

So working on it, Ok might turn out to just be a bug with the Second life Viewer I just found out from my support request with them

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Second Life will have packet-loss regardless. It's an 11 year old game. I would try turning off Windows Firewall, and test if that helps. I would disable UAC/SmartScreen/Defender by default as you don't need them with Avast! and they are just annoying and waste resources. If you wanna be like me and go full on, disable windows scheduled defragmentation and disable system protection "system restore" and turn off windows search as none of these things are really that helpful. I would also recommend downloading a free VPN such as SecurityKISS or CyberGhost and trying to test packet-loss while connecting to one of their servers close to your location. If this solves your packet-loss, then your ISP is being retarded and throttling the broadband connection you probably overpay them for anyway.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I find it hard to imagine how "UAC/SmartScreen/Defender" couldn't possibly contribute to packet loss...

6. Taliscicero

Second Life downloads things as your play. UAC/SmartScreen/Defender could be blocking/scanning unknown things, and Second Life is basically random everything being downloaded constantly in the background. They don't work for real malware anyway. I was curious and had no trouble getting passed all three with both a Trojan and a Key-Logger. I used to code cheats for online games 5 years ago for fun, and my coding knowledge is limited yet my software got by and it was pretty simple.

7. bikemanAMD

Lowered the bandwidth the game was using on recommendation of Support people, and it seems to be better so far, will consider disabling other suggested items if I still have issues

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That wouldn't contribute to packet loss, it would flat out block a file crashing the entire game as it attempts to execute said file. (Assuming you're talking about a streaming background downloader)

The mentioned protections should always be left on.

Seems like a logical explanation.

9. bikemanAMD

yeah seems to be working better so far. Not sure when Windows 8.1 Comes along if i'll continue using Avast or Just use Windows Defender at that point.

I guess i'll decide for myself then the time comes how much protection I need, and such

10. Taliscicero

Second life is not like a normal game, If something gets blocked the game continues to run. It may, however register to the game engine as lost packets due to not being able to load a new texture or skin.

11. bikemanAMD

Yes Secondlife doesn't act like a normal game, have to exclude the program folders in the Antivirus programs to prevent it from blocking slplugin.exe and Slvoice.exe

(if those get blocked, then SL search doesnt' work, map, and Voice chatting)

not sure exactly how much data it uses, i'm on it 12 hours a day usually every day. Due to virtual job in the program and other things I like to do in it.

On our network also have
    Directv On demand that we use a lot
    Windows 8 Desktop PC-Avast 8 Free
    XP laptop-Avast 8 Free
    Windows Vista desktop--Wireless-Avast 8 Free
    Windows phone-wifi
    Intel Atom Media Center PC--Wifi-Avast 8 Free
    Android Nook tablet--wifi-None that i'm aware of for antivirus protection
    Android cell phone-wifi-none that i'm aware of for antivirus protection--Possibly Lookout installed by Sprint store on mom's phone, they said Avast caused issues with her phone

not sure if all that stuff makes a different with speed or not. But Game is running better than it was earlier, 0.1 percent of packet loss, which is a lot better than earlier...Now I just wait for 8.1 to come out and then decide which antivirus I want on this PC for sure

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  12. Taliscicero

I will think about your problem a little more and get back to you. This is my house. I own this club etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.