Security padlock on my banking site..

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

In Xubuntu and Kubuntu 14.04 the padlock is not green as part of the page is transmitted unencrypted. Noticed this only today in Firefox and Google Chrome. Opera 27x does not show this warning and there the padlock is green.

I think it may have occurred as a result of recent updates to both Firefox and Chrome and/or ca cert. updated package.

The ESR version of Firefox in my CentOS, being an older version, is fine.

Can anyone confirm ?

The site: https://netbank.nedsecure.co.za/

FF version 36
    Chrome version 40.0.2214.115

(I am 100% sure that this only ocurred after updates to the above versions).

Attached Files:

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, I have now reported the problem. Veeshush, did you visit the site (with the browser versions mentioned), and if so, did you also see the padlock problem ?
    My neighbour running Windows 7 has the same problem in Chrome but not in Firefox as they are using an older Firefox version, not 36.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Hi Ocky,

the padlock shows green for me, although with Chromium version 40.0.2214.115 on 32 bit Arch.

EDIT
    well...I just updated Chrome (normally I only use for watching Netflix) to 40.0.2214.115 (from .111) and it now shows the same problem you and Veeshush are seeing, so it does seem to be at least a Chrome (not Chromium) problem. It showed green before I updated just a few minutes ago.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks wat0114, appreciate your confirmation.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You can check if any elements, like images are http - if that's the whole problem, it's fine.
    Mrk

7. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I don't see the green padlock on that site either with Chrome but I see it on my banking site.

I also see it on US Bank, Bank of America, Citizens Bank, PNC Bank, American Express, JPMorgan Chase, etc etc so it's difficult for me to say the problem is with the browser.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Google Chrome now displays the green padlock - they (Nedbank) have changed the Entrust certificate from L1E previously to L1M. Are they both extended validation providing the same level of security ? L1M perhaps ensures enhanced compatibility ?
    Looks like my numerous emails to the bank have at least got a result - but they still need to 'fix' Firefox.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.