Security Center disabled...?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

My Security Center seems to have been disabled. I only noticed when I switched security software, and there was no notification balloon when I uninstalled my AV. I have gone into Services and re-enabled it, at which point it starts OK, but there are no configuration settings at the bottom of the screen, for Windows Firewall etc. Is there any way to repair this? I'm positive I have no viruses.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so if you open the secuirty centre does it say so and so service needs to be running to show the rest of the this?
    lodore

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

4. Simon6776

OK, I should have searched first, but I have found the info I needed (partly) in another thread on here. I have now managed to reset the Security Center, by turning off Windows Management Instrumentation in Administration Center > Services, then finding and deleting the Repository folder in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\. Security Center now starts, and displays F-Secure as my current AV and Firewall, as it should do. What it was doing before was saying something like "there are several av programs installed on your machine, and one of them is probably running." What I also should have said before was that it was being disabled again after a reboot, but this seems to be fixed now as well.

Lodore, I'm not quite sure what you meant, but I don't think it was doing that.

I still don't have anything where it says Manage security settings for: Underneath that text is just blank.

5. Simon6776

Hi C.S.J.,

Not sure if that does the same as I already did, but I've used it anyway.

Many thanks - this place is sooo cool! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its a simple registry file, will load default settings for security centre and replace it to 'new' all with just a double click. :D

it should only be used on XP though and not vista.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  7. Simon6776

Excellent, thank you! :D

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I will not touch any of that stuff. I have replaced the repository file only to have errors in Event Viewer. Sometimes you can get away with that as I did it once before successfully...but other times you will have problems. I'll just let Belarc Adivsor (which uses the Security Center, that I have disabled, to get the information on the AV) tell me that I have seven instances of Avira running. Tomorrow it will be eight probably as a new instance is seen by the Security Center after every update. Supposedly it won't be too long before Avira fixes it.

9. Simon6776

It seems to have worked OK for me. To be honest, I think I am heading towards a format and Windows re-installation - just to start afresh - but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible, as the thought also re-installing everything else doesn't float my boat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.