Security Bugs in Google Chrome Extensions (And How To Avoid Them)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hungry Man, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Abandoned projects are one thing. Security holes are another.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't know, Hungry. Chrome is approaching that dangerous point where it has a much bigger audience. It's even on track to overtake Firefox by the end of the year or a little into 2012. Once you get that widely used, that bulls eye shows up on your back. If hackers and malware writers can't deal with the sandbox, they'll move to any other vulnerability. Extensions are a good place to begin.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Sometimes they go hand in hand though. There's no telling how many users are out there hanging on to old, possibly vulnerable extensions.

4. Hungry Man

Oh I know. By "a while" I mean like half a year, which really isn't very long.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, it isn't long at all. That's like a New York minute in the tech world. Unfortunately, this looks like a problem that isn't going to be solved in such a short period of time. At best (and like always it seems), a band-aid might be applied.

6. Hungry Man

Yeah the thing is that I can't think of any bandaids. The sandbox is secure, all of the holes are there for a reason. The problem is poorly coded extensions. I really only see one way to solve that, force developers to deal with insecure code.

Best way to do that is to just do some simple heuristics check of each extensions. Nice and automated. If an extension is flagged inform the developer and either take it off the store or make it clear in the store that the extension hasn't been vetted.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hungry man, I'm still stuck on this... if they can solve it incredibly easy, but you're not sure they will, whatever could be the reason for them to not solve it? :doubt:
    Sorry if I missed your response. I read through the posts.
    :)

8. Hungry Man

I have no clue. They could solve the android issue with vetting as well. It's the simplest solution and you can employ heuristics to do it. We already have the signature for it and obviously it can be fine tuned to include more possible errors (in the case with Chrome.)

I really don't know why they don't vet with android. I don't know why they wouldn't with Chrome either.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can only think of a few things as to why they don't check as thoroughly as Mozilla, and none of them may be the answer:

1. Over-confident in Chrome's overall security.

2. Not enough people to come up with such a process or oversee it.

3. They have other "more important" things to do.

Other than that, I just don't see a reason.

10. Hungry Man

It's most likely 3.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It would be difficult to judge them on number 3, if it weren't such a simple thing they could easily do. The money is certainly there, and surely they could set aside a small group to handle it. Perhaps it's overreacting to think so, but in my opinion, it's irresponsible of them to ignore it, and causes my faith to lessen slightly.

12. Hungry Man

Same here.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Currently, I'm trying IE 9 with TPL (Easy, Fanboy & TRUSTe), WOT, and Speckie.
    Let's see if I manage to stay away from 3rd-party browsers...:D :argh:

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not certain whether the situation has changed, but you should probably pick one TPL provider and stick with them. For a time, what Fanboy or Easy would put on their block lists, TRUSTe would put on their allow lists, thereby really screwing up protection and blocking.

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes, stick to Fanboy only. EasyList has too many allow rules because of their broken importing script. TRUSTe... I wouldn't trust :doubt:

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

O.K., guys.
    I will follow your advice!
    Thanks!!! :thumb:

17. tlu

tlu Guest

Hm, I've never heard of that. Please elaborate! Source?

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm talking about the EasyList TPL only, which is nothing other than the result of a script converting the ABP subscription to TPL format. They have expressed no interest in maintaining it or improving it on their forums, where as the folks over at Fanboy's forums have expressed that interest.

19. tlu

tlu Guest

Sorry, I overlooked that.

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Any experience related to THIS TPL ?

Especially with the Adversity and the Others Lists...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.