securing new computer

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

New lapto want to secure I have Norton 360 as a trial and have installed a ZoneAlarm firewall. I am behind a NAT router with vista premium home if that matters.

SpywareGuard has not been updated in a long time not sure if I will use it? Spybot and adaware seem to be past their best by date. Thought SpywarebTerminator/SpywareBlaster. What will replace Spybot SD in watching for any changes or for the immunize facility? What would give a good layer? I like Win Patrol too how many would be needed? Best HIPS?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For immunization use SpywareBlaster, for realtime use Spyware Terminator, or for ondemand scans try SUPERAntispyware or AVG AntiSpyware.

For HIPS there are many and it depends what your looking for. Most are noisy but some can be quiet. The other anti-malware section has many threads on HIPS.

3. david banner

Thanks I had ProcessGuard but since it is a new PC and PG not supported I will look elsewhere What is a good quiet HIPS.

4. david banner

Installing and using I get a box with a red x in left top which says

Windows - no disk
    Exception processing message 0x0000013 Parameters 0x756A023C ox84C2C96C 0x756A023C 0x756A023C I get choice to cancel try again or continue.Try again give the same message, continue just allows me continue, but do not know if have caused any problem by continuing

Should I uninstall? I am posting this from my new laptop.

5. WSFuser

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Do you plan on using 360? With auto-protect and SONAR enabled you may not need much more. There is also Windows Defender which is somewhat uninspiring to hear. But it may provide enough protection in combo with 360 that any further realtime protection is not necessary.

Also, are you planning on running the 360 firewall or the ZA one?

7. david banner

As AV

Where do I configure SONAR or see my virus defs

Preinstalled

360 is a 3 month trial

ZA

Thanks

8. david banner

I looked at that, not sure what to make of the links in it but it also says the cause is unknown

9. WSFuser

Go to those links, read, and see if theres any solution(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.