SecureAPlus Freemium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sinlam, Jul 24, 2013.

1. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yes, I also find that EMET sometimes causes some problem with some software.

2. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Glad to know that it doesn't happen again after changing the setting.

3. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Does it cause problem only to security software? We have to do more testing on this...

4. KelvinW4

I think it happens not only to security software. Some programs didn't function correctly as I recall from the past.

5. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Thanks Kelvin for this valuable information :thumb:

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Spoke too soon. Happened again in the last reboot.
    Code:
    2013-08-12 07:44:57 Unable to connect ot driver communication port. Error code 0x80070002.
    2013-08-12 12:05:51 Unable to connect ot driver communication port. Error code 0x80070002.
    2013-08-12 12:55:13 Unable to connect ot driver communication port. Error code 0x80070002.
    2013-08-12 14:22:09 Unable to connect ot driver communication port. Error code 0x80070002.
    2013-08-12 15:13:54 Unable to connect ot driver communication port. Error code 0x80070002.
    2013-08-12 15:15:22 Unable to connect ot driver communication port. Error code 0x80070002.

It happened when I removed some trusted certificate in my admin account, rebooted then logged in to my standard user account. So far happened once. I'll keep you informed. I also have three questions.

1. I noticed that opening the Application Whitelisting settings in my admin account started Application Whitelisting.exe, if I run as administrator Application Whitelisting.exe in my Standard User account, can I also access the certificate list, etc, without negative effects? Thanks

2. Is this compatible with Shadow Defender? Thanks :D

3. Is it possible to purge whitelist database for deleted files?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Suggestion:
    I noticed that the context menu differs for SecureAPlus when right clicking (first time) a file and right clicking it after the first time. The "Show All Trust Level" is shown, which is only useful for folders. I think it is redundant to show it for a single file. Maybe you could only show the "Show All Trust Level" to folders only?
    Untitled.png

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

9. guest

guest Guest

No can do with Internet Explorer because Internet Explorer has been completely removed from my OS, I am running a highly modified version of Windows XP with SP3, this system has stripped to the bone of unnecessary code and bloat to reduce the attack surface and hardened it against malware and for speed, I use palemoon for the web which is a optimized firefox based browser

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Did anyone already test this app against zero day drive by attacks? ;)

Also, why not scrap ClamAV, I don´t think anyone is taking this app seriously.

11. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi Kupo, did you disable the antivirus? This will help us to investigate your problem better.

Here's my reply to your questions:
    #1 Yes, you can run Application Whitelisting as administrator in your standard user account and access the certificate list without any negative effect.

#2 We haven't test SecureAPlus with Shadow Defender. We will look into this and get back to you on the outcome.

Hope this answer helps :)

12. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi Kupo, thanks for pointing this out ;) We definitely have to fine-tune the "Show All Trust Level" and make it more responsive.

Good suggestion :thumb: You are right to say that it is kind of redundant to show it for a single file. We will see how we can improve on this :)

Thank you so much for your help and please keep your comment coming ;)

13. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

14. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Thanks for the info. We need to test further and will let you know if we need more information from you.

15. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi Rasheed, thanks for using SecureAPlus and your suggestion on scrapping the ClamAV :). As mentioned in my earlier post (#75 on page 3), we have a reason to leave the av there as this path the way for the upcoming product roadmap that we are going to build around end of this year. We have already filed a patent in US. Sorry but at this point I can't reveal too much... Please stay tune for a much better SecureAPlus version in a couple of months' time. We will also be conducting a beta program prior to its official release. If you are interested to be one of the beta testers, please watch out for it ;)

16. KelvinW4

I guess I will be waiting for that one! :)

17. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I installed it without the antivirus. :D

18. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi guest, your problem may be resolved if you download the CA certificate from http://www.geotrust.com/resources/root-certificates/. Look for "Root 2 - GeoTrust Global CA" and "Download Base-64 format - GeoTrust Global CA (.cer file)". Alternatively, you can download directly from http://www.geotrust.com/resources/root_certificates/certificates/GeoTrust_Global_CA.cer.

Next, you need to install the CA certificate by doing the following:

1. Double-click on the .cer file to open it. Then click on "Install Certificate.." button.

ca_1.png

2. Click on "Next" button.

ca_2.png

3. You can either stick to the default setting or specify a location for the certificate store. Click on "Next" button.

ca_3.png

4. Click on "Finish" button

ca_4.png

Hope this helps :)

19. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi Rasheed, sorry I have missed out on your question regarding the test against zero day drive by attacks. Some of the Wilders' posters have already tried this. You can refer to the following posts:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2264407&postcount=68
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2249118&postcount=89

20. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Here is a suggestion for the future of securaplus. How about you guys once you have a decent AV from one of the big AV names like bitdefender, kaspersky, etc., then you should make a free version without the AV or better internet security and a pro or paid version with antivirus and anti-malware or internet security protection.

21. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi taleblou, just to clarify, are you suggesting that we should make a free version completely without antivirus and a paid version with antivirus and anti-malware? In your opinion, which antivirus software will be a perfect match to SecureAPlus whitelisting?

22. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Well there are many good one, but its up to them to accept your request of choosing their engines.

Here are a list of some of the good ones and you can set the protection from highest to lowest.
    Windows 8 based (f-secure, GDATA, bitdefender, kaspersky, bullguard, trendmicro have highest): http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/

windows 7 based (G-data, F-secure, bitdefender, kaspersky, comodo): http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2013/

BUT MY IDEA IS THIS:

You can use one of the above or best is to have a home made engine like Hitman pro, where you can make a list of safe apps and IF SOMEHTING IS UNKNOWN OR NO DIGITAL REGISTER IS THEN UPLOADED TO VIRUSTOTAL WHILE AT THE SAME TIME IT IS SANDBOXED UNTIL THE RESULT SHOW IF IT IS SAFE THEN IT IS ALLOWED TO INSTALL.

What I am saying is similar to the virus engine you have now with CLAM-AV. but instead of scanning it with CLAM-AV or another AV it is send to virutotal or other multi-engines online or cloud scanners. If safe it would be allowed and if not then blocked and removed.

Hitman pro does the same thing but only for on-demand. It scans and if something is not right it will upload to its multi-engine cloud. You go a step further and apply the same rule but in proactive or defensive mode offering protection from download or any applications running. THAT'S SOMETHING HITMAN PRO DOES NOT HAVE. only then secureaplus would be the greatest multi-engine security there is.

Also adding a good light firewall and sandbox to it for full internet security would be great.

SO:

Free: just what is now without AV

PRO: Includes AV, sandbox and browser protection (incl. VIRUSTOTAL varifications)

INTERNET SECURITY: Includes PRO plus Firewall

23. KelvinW4

I think adding that much to the software will make it no longer a whitelisting+antivirus for checks approach. It will no longer be compatible with other software and no longer be as simple as it should be. (Of course, this is not my say) This will just add more bloat and it will not be as "original". In my opinion, ClamAV "should" be fine, if you trust the whitelisting/preventive power of SecureAPlus.
    Talebleu, the thing you most describe as is Comodo Internet security:D

24. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Thanks taleblou for your suggestion :thumb: We will have an internal discussion on your proposed idea.

25. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Thanks Kelvin for having so much faith in SecureAPlus whitelisting :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.