Secure Zone Unreliable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bill_M, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_M

Bill_M Registered Member

TI v9 Build 3.854
    Win2K SP4

I do frequent program installs and uninstalls (sometimes a couple per day). Before the installation I usually backup an image to the Secure Zone and then depending on how the uninstall goes I'll restore from the zone. A while back on one of the builds I had a restore from zone result in a BSOD due to bad registry restore. The previous image was OK. Since that time I now back up the the image using 2 programs TI-9 and an older version of Paragons 7Tool imager as well as a registry snapshot. I've been doing this until my confidence in TI returns. Yesterday the same failure with build 3.854. A validate (8 images) says OK Thanks to Paragon I got my system back.

I use the zone because it's quick and version-ed. I do a daily differential to separate internal and weekly full to external for regular backups.

Sorry for the long winded lead in but now the question. Is there a build which has a stable Secure Zone? I'd like to use 1 backup program.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I never had any problems with the secure zone using Version 9 Build 3677. I never saw the advantage in changing to version 3854 so cannot tell if it unstable.
    I have always found the secure zone 100% stable from Version 8 through to version 10 so I see no reason to believe the 3854 has problems with the zone.

I would suggest you do some checks on your hardware just to make sure that all is up to par. CHKDSK R on all your drives is worthwhile but unfortunately it will not run on the Secure Zone Drive!! The only sure way to check that drive is to delete the Zone, run the checks and start again.
    Running Mem Test overnight to give your RAM a thorough work out would eliminate that as being the problem.

Like you I frequenty try out programs. I do not usually do a TI restore when I remove them. Instead I run Windows System restore to remove any left over debris. This method is a lot faster than running a TI restore.

3. Bill_M

Bill_M Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. System is fine. Error is occasional and occurs only in the zone. System restore is OK but not all dll's are removed since restore only overwrites the files it knows of. Exe's and inf's are also left over as well as others, they do accumulate.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Unless you have ECC enabled RAM installed I still reckon it to be worthwhile to check it out with the latest version of Memtest 86.http://www.memtest.org/

You could also run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on your archive drive.

Xpilot

5. Bill_M

Bill_M Registered Member

Have tested that and more. The problem seams to occur when the zone is full and must make a deletion. The problem never occurs when the zone is cleaned and less than full. Think I'll go back to 3677 and see if the same problem occurs. Thanks Xpilot.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bill_M,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you are backing up and restoring whole disks/partitions or only selected files/folders?
    Please be aware that we can not guarantee that you will be able to restore your operating system to a working state by restoring the file-based backup of a system partition. Please check this thread for more detailed explanation.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.