Secure email with POP3/IMAP?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnikf, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

tormail is supposed to be the most secure but damn slow and only web based.
    Are there any others that are secure (don't reveal your IP) have IMAP or pop3 and if they are free, great! :)

2. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

vmail , riseup , that should be enough , havent heard of any that offer similar service for free, btw dont use tormail for private stuff , protip, no not even with openpgp

and for one time use mails use 10 minute mail or guerilla mail

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

4. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I've had no problems with Lavabit after using them for a year but I'm interested in Riseup but it's seems quite difficult to get an account.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Just request one. I did not have anyone to invite me, so I simply requested one and was approved after a few days.

6. Hmmmm Tormail... I think it's a honeypot

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, Tor itself started as a US Naval Research Laboratory project ;) And the US government supposedly still uses Tor. So Tormail could certainly be a US government project. FWIW, the Russians apparently don't like it.

But would that make it a honeypot, any more than Tor itself is one? Indeed, could Tormail be secure, even if it is a honeypot? Tor supposedly protects users from both observers and hidden services, and vice versa.

Also, everything sent via Tormail should of course be end-to-end encrypted.

8. Yes and you know why the Russians don't like it?

9. mirimir

No, I haven't followed that. Maybe because it's a US honeypot? Or maybe because some other group that they don't like was using it, such as Chechnian or Georgian rebels?

10. happyyarou666

11. mirimir

12. happyyarou666

lols yeah , one can only asume , thou id say they just dont like anonymisation platforms such as tormail , as long as you dont put any information in the mail

that could be used against you aka profiling and tracing or just use openpgp to encrypt the mails, then its a pretty darn anonymous sevice if you ask me exspecially since it uses .onion hidden services, hence why the russians hate it , atleast the government , lols

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.