Secure Deletation Tool

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by FluxGFX, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

What are your recommendation team?

I have a few listed below

1. Eraser
    2. Filebuddy
    3. Evidence Eliminator ( no comments )
    4. PGP file wipe
    5. Norton File Whipe
    ..... any other utils.....
    More interested in the freeware ones that will use Gutmann method.

Comments are welcomed and other suggestions are also welcomed :)

2. FluxGFX

Now upon reading further on the Gutmann way's
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

Determinating a good and secure program to delete the data is hard to determine.

I've come across another program. East-Tec Eraser Pro
    Seems to be working great. Unfortunately you need to buy this one *sigh*

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

4. FluxGFX

I'd like to use Eraser but it hangs my explorer.exe for some reason whenever I try to access it on demand or use the context menu it hangs explorer.exe causing it to restart.

5. FluxGFX

I've also sent them an email regarding this issue including system specs and whats running that current time wich was basic winxp sp1 nothing else loaded.

6. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Don't expect much--I had the same shell hangs with Eraser, and told them months and months ago. No results to this day. (Yeah, I know it's freeware, but I did donate $20, because I'm a nitwit.)

Eraser also has a weird bug whereby it sometimes fails to delete certain files. I haven't figured out why this happens, or how to reproduce it, but I know for sure that it does happen--and often. I can give Eraser a command line telling it to remove the contents of a given directory, and sometimes it will leave a few files in there, untouched. Run the same type of command line with BCWipe, and the files are all gone.

Yeah, I know the responses: "Eraser works fine for me." That's great. But these issues are real nonetheless.

7. FluxGFX

nameless yeah I know what you mean bro....

I'm not amusing myself with East-Tec Eraser 2004

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Flux - Did you try both versions of Eraser? Or just one? I've read of cases where one of them wouldn't work on a given machine and the other would.

nameless - I don't use the "command-line" stuff - if something needs deleted, I use the right-click context menu to do so. FI, choosing "Select All" then right-clicking and choosing "Erase".

I've seen that fail, but ony because one or more of the files were in use. Once they're not in use anymore (FI, by closing down the program that's "using" them), Eraser worked fine.

Of course, I'd expect bcwipe to be the superior program (since you have to pay for it) - and besides, doesn't bcwipe use the "remove on re-boot" method, whereby the files get removed/erased upon re-start, where there's no chance for them being in use? (I use GiPo@MoveOnBoot ( http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/ ) for things that don't respond to the above, but then, of course, you have to go back and "Erase" freespace after that doing it that way). Pete

9. FluxGFX

Hey !

Yeah they both do the samething.

10. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I use the command line because there are some directories (like my email attachments directory, and my temp directory) which I securely delete the contents of very frequently. Doing it with the shell extension is out of the question. The command line I am using is correct; that isn't the problem.

The files that fail to be deleted are not in use. As just one example, the other day, a couple meaningless email attachments that have been lingering for days were overlooked by Eraser, while other ones were handled correctly. These files were not in use, and I'm not just guessing--I know they weren't in use.

BCWipe just works more reliably for me. I never use the option to securely delete after a reboot. I don't have to--it's like I said: I use Eraser, it doesn't always work, then I immediately use BCWipe afterward, and it does work. If I had been rebooting in between, I'd have mentioned that.

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Everything in Extreme Power Tools (radsoft.net) uses Gutmann's deletion :D

There are some pages on radsoft.net that say that most "secure file deleting programs" don't work and the standards they go by are meant for memory, not hard drives. One of the programs accused is evidence eliminator. There are some articles there on evedence eliminator that proove that this is true. One of them is about someone getting into some trouble and was using evidence eliminator, but the feds were able to find something like 200 files that it diddnt cover up right.

This guy doesn't like EE either:
    http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/

It's fancy looking but I stay away from it, besides its extremely expensive for what it does.

I am generally Anti-Norton, but have not tried there deletion programs.

I use PGP wipe sometimes since I have PGP installed and it is easy to use, but im not sure how secure it is.

Have not tried any others...

12. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Of course, if you want to proof for yourselve's any concerns on how well all these different utilities actually work,
    you'll need "CounterMeasures".

GF

13. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Try Jason's Cryptosuite (http://www.diamondcs.com.au/cryptosuite/) for advanced yet easy-to-use secure deletion :)

14. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, there is a free program called restoration "REST2514"
    it is primarily a restore program, but you can delete the files it finds on your system, as well as washing the free space [ quite time consuming, best done overnight ].

The program is very small, and can be run off a floppy.

I believe it uses the Gutmann method of overwritting with 010 etc.

It can be found here http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/REST2514.EXE

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Analog also offers intersting looking E-mail virus scanner and .dll cleaner.
    As per AJ the precis of "secure" file deletion (or even deletation) at Radsoft is good reading especially the DOD/NIPSOM comments.

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Sorry, forgot; in reply to Wayne, why dont you guys offer the deletion tool as a separate app?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.